Aggie Mac Master
Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius
Experience:  B.S. Biology from Texas A&M University and Long-time Mac User

My iChat for some reason stopped working. It quits ...

My iChat for some reason stopped working. It quits every time I start it up. So, I thought that if I merely reinstall it then that should fix the problem. Well, it didn''t. I reinstalled it and it still does that. Please Help!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Aggie Mac Master replied 8 years ago.
What version of OS X are you using?

What kind of mac do you have?

Did this start happening after you installed something else?

These questions will help me get started solving your problem.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Aggie Mac Master's Post: I am running Mac OS X 10.5.4 on a MacBook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz

I don't really remember after what "install" it started doing this. All I remember is that it started with my video chat not working and while trying to "video chat" iChat always quit on me. So after that it just started quitting no matter what.
I want you to try to repair the system disk, here are the steps involved. Often the reason for problems like these is a corruption of the UNIX file system, which this procedure fixes:

1. Disk Utility cannot repair the directory structure of the active startup disk but in Mac OS X 10.5, it can verify the active startup disk. To repair an OS X system disk with Disk Utility, you must startup the computer using an Apple Software Restore disc (included with newer Macs) or a Mac OS X Install disc. Insert the disc, restart the computer, and hold the C key when you hear the startup sound. You can release the key when the gray Apple appears.

2. It is normal for the computer to take longer to startup from a CD or DVD. The disc will automatically start the OS X installer but you do not need to reinstall OS X. If you are prompted to select a language and you do not see the menu bar at the top of the screen, click the right arrow button to proceed to the next screen.

3. Choose Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.

4. Select the name of the hard drive (e.g. Macintosh HD) on the left side of the window and click the First Aid tab if it is not already selected. To check the directory of the disk and attempt repair of any problems found, click the Repair Disk button. If it finds any problems, it will list them. Otherwise, it will say "The volume Macintosh HD appears to be OK."

To check and repair system file permissions, select the name of the hard drive on the left and click the Repair Disk Permissions button.

If this doesn't work, respond back and I can try to find a different technique for you.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Aggie Mac Master's Post: I will do this and let you know whether it worked. I'll be back.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I tried that and it just said that the disk "appears to be OK"
I now want you to clean our your iChat preferences. Here's how to do that:

Go into your user file>Library>Preferences

in this file delete all files that start with

on my computer there are 5 of these

This will make iChat restart as if it were starting for the first time.

Do this and report back your results.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I did that, deleted the files. Then restarted iChat. As soon as I double click on a contact, it doesn't respond then it opens a window with nothing in it. If i type something in there it says "you must first choose a contact," but I already did. After a minute it hangs and then I get the "iChat quit unexpectedly..."
Ok lets try this:

Download Pacifist. Insert the Leopard install DVD into the drive and open Pacifist. Click the “Open Apple Install Packages” button on Pacifist. This will load the DVD.

Once the DVD has loaded, there is a list of the contents from the DVD. Navigate to: XXXXX XXXXX OS Install/Contents of iChat/Applications/ . This is where is located and what will need to be extracted/installed to your computer. Alternatively, you may perform a search on the directory listing with ‘iChat.’

Once the iChatAV application is found, highlight/select it and extract it to the computer by clicking “Extract to” or “Install.” Be sure to install iChatAV to the /Applications/ folder on your hard drive (not your user folder).

Now Repair Permissions after the re-installation just to prevent any quirky behavior by using Disk Utility located in /Applications/Utilities/. Then you should be all set to use iChatAV 3.0 (or iChat 4.0) Be sure to update to the latest version, as noted below. (ichat from an Install disk is likely to be out of Step with the OS. In tiger and Leopard so far the updates to iChat have been in the Software Updates and you need to match them.

If problems still persist, you might find it worthwhile to reinstall the

InstantMessage.framework folder (/System/Library/Framworks) and
VideoConference.framework folder (/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks).

You can reinstall either/both of these folders by modelling the steps noted above except just reinstall the folders and not the application. You will need Pacifist for this procedure.
Did that work for you?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes. Thanks!