Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

Im having a problem installing a LaCie DVD rewriter

Customer Question

I''m having a problem installing a LaCie DVD rewriter to my mac mini. It doesn''t seem to read the disc that came with it. Not exactly a technically minded person, so an answer in laymans terms please!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Aggie Mac Master replied 6 years ago.
What is the model of the LaCie DVD rewriter, you should be able to find it on the back of the device, or the bottom of the device.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Writemaster?
Could you click the Apple menu>About this Mac

From there could you tell me what Version of OS X it says you are running?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Mac OS X version 10.4.11
Download this program, it will update your LaCie DVD drive to the most recent firmware:

http://www.lacie.com/download/drivers/LaCieDVDUpdateTool_2.0.2_dmg.zip

This may fix your problem. If not reply, and I will try some other things.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Did that. It said the device did not need updating.
Does it read any type of disc?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My Mac? Yes, not that I have much on it. It certainly reads CDs.
no, i mean the burner
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No.
Is this connected via firewire or USB?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
USB
could you try switching from one usb port to another?

if that doesn't work, could you try plugging it in via firewire?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Tried it in a different USB. Not sure what firewire is.
Go to the Apple Menu>About This Mac

Click "More Info..."

A window will pop up

on the left-hand column, click USB

On the right hand side, does the burner show up?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes it does
I am going to opt out and refer you to another expert that may be able to help, but right now it sounds like a problem with the drive itself.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok thanks for your trouble
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Hi. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Has this drive ever worked for you?

Do you use Toast?

Can you try USB so we can determine if it is in fact working? Firewire is the other type of connection method that this drive supports, if in fact you have a D2.

Let me know and I wll keep on this for you.

Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
HI.

My name is Mike.

Your question is still open. Can I help with this or did you fix it?

Let me know.

Thanks,