Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

I have a Mac G4 AGP machine that I have installed OS x 10.5 ...

Customer Question

I have a Mac G4 AGP machine that I have installed OS x 10.5 by use of a third party software that told the Installer that I was running over a 875 Mhz processor. The install went fine and the machine is running ok. It seem sluggish (which I expected) But I have seen some processor upgrades online that I was considering (such as 1 Ghz and 1.8 Ghz) Is this worthwhile, and will it give me "normal" speed on my G4. Also, when going to any streaming video pages (I have High Speed Internet) the sound plays ok but the movies either stall or won''t show up at all. Is this a function of my slower processor running OS X 10.5. Shouod I just go back to 10.3? Thanks
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
Hi, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help you.

First, yes, the processor is having problems dealing with the OS level and also your video card may not be that powerful either. I would say that to get your best performance, go back to 10.3 and upgrade to the latest version of that OS.

As far as upgrade cards for the G4. Hmmm, I did that to my G3 and it is running 10.3.9. And it is pretty good. Would I do it again? Maybe. But if I wanted to spend that kind of money, some cards can go as high as 5-600.00, then I would just go for a new Mini or a refurb iMac.

So, my expert opinion? Go back to 10.3 on the G4 and stay with the processor you have. Save your money and get a Mini or an iMac and use that for your faster processor requirements and use your G4 for the legacy stuff that thsoe Macs were great at. And a bonus... you get Intel inside and that means running Windows as well.

I hope this helps and if you like my answer, please click Accept.

Good luck,
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.

Was I able to answer your question?

Let me know and please click Accept if you liked my answer. Reply back if you have more questions.