Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

I just downloaded some update package thing to my sons ...

Customer Question

I just downloaded some update package thing to my sons mac notebook and now it wont accept his password XXXXX we try to log in. He''s going to be so mad at me.......!!! Help
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What update was it? Did it ask to restart after it finished?

Did your son's MacBook log in automatically before the update was installed?

Get back to me and I will help you out.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Mike's Post: Mike! That's my sons name as well.
I clicked the mac hard drive and chose a mac osx package something or other. I don't remember exactly. Once I saw it took about 15 minutes to install I was Like "Yikes"! Tried to cancel but it wouldn't let me.

It did restart.

His make always asked for his password XXXXX start up which it still does but now it just keeps asking and wont accept it.

I also chose a download thing for leopard because I wasn't sure which his computer used. It was just bought this past December so I thought maybe it had Leopard. I know..... I am a coputer idiot!!!
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.

First, make sure you do not have the Caps Lock key accidentally on. This is something that could make this happen. passwords are case sensitive.

Next, we will try to boot into safe mode and see if it lets you in that way.

If caps lock is not on then restart Mac and hold down shift key until you see the Mac is booting up. You can let go of the shift key once you see it is booting.

This can take several to many minutes, so be patient with it. the system will perform some magic and some maintenance items and then leave you at a log in screen.

Try to login here. If it works, then wait until it finishes logging in and then restart and try to log in again without holding any keys down.

if this does not work, reply back. if it does, please click Accept.

let me know.
Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Mike's Post: When the login window came up it said "safe boot" I typed in the password (no cap lock) and it just does the same thing. It goes to a blue screen like it is going to pull up the desk top, but alas, it does the same thing. Keeps asking me for the password.
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
Ok. We will need your original CD/DVD that came with the MacBook.

What you will do is boot from the CD/DVD by holding the 'C' key down.
Then when the Mac has booted from the disc and the installer is running tell it what language to use to continue. After that you will see a menu bar at the top of the window.

In that menu bar will be a Utilities menu or the Installer Menu and in that menu is a choice for Reset Password.

Choose this option.

In the next window click on the name of your hard drive and then from the pop-up, choose the account name to change the password XXXXX

Enter the new password. Make sure NOT to choose root or any other users on the system, only the administrator account, which should be your sons.

Enter it again and click Save.

Quit the installer and it will ask to shut down or cancel. Choose shutdown and then restart. Use the new password XXXXX entered to lo ig.

Se these 2 Apple Support articles to see these steps and also to access the keychain after the password XXXXX changed.

Good luck and let me know how you make out.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Mike's Post: Problem. I don't have the cd for the macbook here. I have the ones for my desktop. Will they work the same? I will look to see if I have it somewhere .... it could be at his dads house though.
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
If your desktop is very recent or if it is a retail version of the same system on his MacBook, maybe/yes.

If not, then you will need the disc to get the password XXXXX

Still not sure what happened but whatever the update was it messed with the passwords somehow.

I will keep looking around to see if I can come up with another solution.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I put my disc in, held the "C" key, and what it says now is to choose start up disc. The choices are:

Mac OS X 10.5.1 on Macintosh HD

Mac OS X 10.4.7 on Mac OSX install disc 1

or .... Network set up. Looks like it wants me to choose then hit restart. Should I? Which one do I pick??
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
This will not work. You will need the 10.5.x install disc. the 10.4 disc is not compatible with 10.5 and the password XXXXX may not work properly.

Try it and see:
choose 10.4 install disc and continue
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It says....
Are you sure you want to restart the computer?

Your computer will start up using Mac OS X 10.4.7 0n "MAC OS X Install Disc !"

Will this screw everything up that he has on his computer?
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
no, go ahead. it will not install anything until you click several pages and even then it will say you cannot install this on this Mac.

We only need it to go the first screen and load the menu bar so you can see the menus.

I am just afraid it will not allow you to go even that far.

Let's see.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Ok. I did it. I got to the window that asks to select a user of this volume to reset their password, the only name available in the box says System Administrator root. There is no other choice. The next box says enter a new password XXXXX this user. Do I change this "root" thing? Do I need to use a completely different password XXXXX the old one???
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
No. Do not change the root password.

Something is very wrong here. This tells me there has been a serious error during the update and the user has been damaged.

I'll need you to get the Mac OS X 10.5 disc before we do anything else. I do not want to change anything now. This may be a symptom of it being a tiger install disc and a leopard operating system on the Mac.

We need to do this with a leopard disc.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
So I should do nothing now until I get the disk. What if I can't ever find it? Other options?
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
Yes, do nothing for now.

Options are if you are near an Apple store you can go there. they will work with you and get it up again. You will not need any discs for that and the serial number will prove warranty.

If you do wait, and can get the discs, follow the instructions again and see if another user shows up besides Root. if so, then change the password XXXXX you should be good.

If not, we may need to repair the hard drive, or, re-install the operating system and go from there. A re-install does not necessarily mean data loss as there are ways to re-install with no loss.

Let me know how you make out.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for your help. I will try to get the disc. No Apple store near here. Its like an hour away!!
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
Expert:  Aggie Mac Master replied 8 years ago.
Before going out to buy the DVD try this,

- Reboot

- Hold apple + s down after you hear the chime.

-When you get text prompt enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

shutdown -h now

After rebooting you should have a brand new admin account.

Let me know if this method works for you. If not, go with Mike's advice.