Aggie Mac Master
Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius
Experience:  B.S. Biology from Texas A&M University and Long-time Mac User

I just got a new MacPro and migrated my files, but can not ...

I just got a new MacPro and migrated my files, but can not recognize my Nikon 9000 or Epson 3200 in the import file. I put the Nikon scan plug in''s in the plug in folder in CS3 as well as the Epson 3200 but they don''t show up and if I try to open Nikon Scan alone it quits with an error.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Aggie Mac Master replied 8 years ago.
What version of OS X are you currently running?

How are these scanners attached to your computer (USB or Firewire)?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
OS 10.5.4 is the system, the Epson scanner is USB, the Nikon 9000 is attatched via firewire
Go to the Apple Menu>About this Mac>More Info

When you click on FireWire do you see your Nikon 9000 in the right side?

When you click on USB do you see your Epson 3200 in the right side?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, it is there and here is some of the report when I try to start Nikon Scan by itself and not from CS3...
Process:        Nikon Scan 4 [1403]
Path:            /Applications/Nikon Software/Nikon Scan 4/Nikon Scan 4/Contents/MacOS/Nikon Scan 4
Version:        Nikon Scan (1.0)
Code Type:       PPC (Translated)
Parent Process: launchd [85]

Date/Time:       2008-08-03 11:07:27.770 -0600
OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.5.4 (9E17)
Report Version: 6

Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x000000000000004c
Crashed Thread: 0

Thread 0 Crashed:
and also, yes I see the Epson scanner... also everything of course worked well on the G4 : )
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I've also downloaded the latest from Nikon, as well as using the uninstall and install from the CD... I just bought the 9000 three weeks ago and it worked well on the G4 as I said.
Would you be willing to use a separate program to scan or do you need to be able to scan into Photoshop?
Try this, download VueScan (the best scanning program made for mac). It is compatible with both of your scanners and is truely a great program. They even provide a free trial to see if it is a good fit for you.

It allows direct export to Photoshop CS3.

You can have a look at it and download it here:

Hopefully this will solve your problems.

Do you think that piece of software will work for you?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
actually downloaded and purchased vuescan...without even demo-ing it, the $79 version and don't like it...oops. Seems I can use CS2 fine with both scanners, but even substituting the import folders from 2 to 3 doesn't work either. Nikon stand alone doesn't work, but works in CS2 out of the import file...ah upgrading has it's moments doesn't it?
Wow, I am very surprised you don't like VueScan, I absolutely live by it and it can be used with almost every scanner.

The difference between CS2 and CS3 is that CS3 is universal. Try right clicking the photoshop cs3 application and click get info. Then check the box next to "Open using Rosetta".

This will slow down Photoshop, but I think that may fix your compatibility issue with your plug-ins. I had to do that with a few plug-ins until they made them universal.

Let me know if that works. Maybe you can request a refund on the VueScan?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
OK... Rosetta works. I did email vuescan. I like using the curves, Ice etc. features in Nikon. Thanks for the help.