Aggie Mac Master
Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius
Experience:  B.S. Biology from Texas A&M University and Long-time Mac User
11127226

Why does color wheel appear with in minutes after I open a a

Customer Question

I really don't know what I should back up so if you could give me some help it would be greatly appreciated. My computer doesn't have the capability of burning a cd.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

HI,

What type of Mac are you using and what OS do you use?

Do you have any other machines networked to this machine or do you have another mac?

Your qriginal question was cut off slightly so could you tell us what happens to bring up the wheel?

Let us know

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Claws, you told me that you were going to refer my problem to another expert. I have yet to hear from anybody.
G-4, OSX10.4.11, Safari , 450 mhz, 1.2 gb sdram, hard drive capacity 19.08 gb, available 12.57 gb and used 6.51 gb on disk. The wheel appears with in 30 seconds after I open any application and doesn't stop for at least 5 minutes or until I force quit. I don't have a burner so I can't back up my information. I really don't know what information I would need to back up. The expert from TX said there was a program that I could use that is free.
Claws, I have all intention in paying for your services once my problem is solved.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I forgot to tell you that I did a system update.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

What name did you ask your original question as so I can reference it?

Thanks

Expert:  Aggie Mac Master replied 6 years ago.
Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius
Experience: B.S. Biology from Texas A&M University and Long-time Mac User
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Claws224's Post: scttsdlmn
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
are you going to help me or not? It can't be that hard to solve my problem especially since you and claws are experts
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok, if you two aren't going to help me then I will have to find another expert that will. I don't know why you guys seem to think that everyone knows a lot about computers. You two remind me of the techs from Apple. They talk down to you like you are a idot.
I think there was a miscommunication here. We were not talking down to you, I believe we each thought that the other was helping you. We do not think you are an idiot, and I would love to help you with your problems. I looked back over the previous conversation we had and saw we were at the point looking for a way to back up your information so you could try to restore your system, am I correct?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes! I also told you that being a novice that I really don't know what info I should back up. I also told you that my computer doesn't have a cd burner.
Usually information that one would back up are music, videos, documents, emails. Anything that you need that is irreplaceable. Do you have any USB zip cards that you could store this data on?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no, I don't
There are several online backup services that provide free space. Here are a couple:

IDrive (offers 2 GB for free)

Xdrive (offers 5 GB for free)

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I purchased 4 zip disks from Fry's Electronics today. I checked and there is no way to back up on this computer.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay! What is the website?
Just click on the names, I made them into links for you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I went to X drive , tried to register and every time I entered the security work I received a error saying that I didn't enter the word correctly.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I went to X drive , tried to register and every time I entered the security work I received a error saying that I didn't enter the word correctly. I was able to download I Drive, Now how do I back up my information?
You click the box next to the files you wish to backup and then click backup now at the bottom.
Expert:  Kovac replied 6 years ago.
I think the easiest way for you to back up your data is the following:

-Buy an usb stick of sufficient capacity to hold your data - usb sticks are very cheap these days.

-Stick it in your computer

-Drag and drop your home directory (Macintosh HD->Users->your_username) to the usb stick

If you get an error while doing this, do it in command line as root:

-Open Terminal (Applications->Utilities->Terminal)
type:
'sudo cp -r /Users/your_username /Volumes/name_of_the_stick'
(without the '' ) then press enter

name_of_the_stick is the name of the icon that appears on your desktop when you plug the usb stick in.

-Verify that all your data is on the stick

-Shutdown your computer, plug out the stick and reinstall os x

P.S.: this method should be appliable with the zip disks you bought with little modification, however, it is easier to have one usb stick/harddisk/... with sufficient capacity to hold your files than 4 Zip disks/DVDs/other disks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What is a USB Stick? And where do I purchase one? I sorry, but be a novice I don't understand what else you said.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
S.A. I purchased a 2GB ScanDisk USB stick. Please help me.
When you plug it into your computer, it should show up on the desktop, does it?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes it does! I'm starting to think that I didn't purchase a stick with more space. I have a MAXTOR HD. Capacity HD 38.29GB Avail: 36.36
HD SGL Cap: 19.08GB   Avail: 12.52 GB
I have tried several times to eject the stick , clicked on File and then Eject.
You can just drag files that you want to back up onto the stick that shows up on the desktop.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I dragged some of them and I went to the file menu and clicked on eject. I pulled the stick out of the computer and I received a error message that I should have clicked on File and then Eject which I did. What did I do wrong? Did I buy enough Megs?
you should be fine, just as long as they weren't still copying. The amount of megs needed depends on how much you need to back up. If it all fit then you bought enough. How big was the one you bought?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
2 megs
It all fit right?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't know! When the icon pops up on the desktop should I open it up? I did and found three different icons and don't know which one to drag the files to. Please tell me what to do. I went to Fry's Electronics today and spoke to one of the Mac specialists. I recommended that I purchase Time Machine, however, I couldn't find it there or at Best Buy. I'm thinking about purchasing Lepard which has Time Machine. What do you think?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Will all my bookmarks be transferred to the stick?
Time Machine is awesome! You do not even need to think about how to backup, it is a bit pricey, but I think it is worth it!

Here is some information on it:

http://www.apple.com/timecapsule/

You can buy it here, or at any Apple Store:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB276LL/A
You can back them up in Safari by clicking File>Export Bookmarks

Then save that file on your stick.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok, what do I do now that I downloaded the information to the memory stick?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am now ready to reinstall Tiger! What do I do now?
Print this guide from Apple:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Tiger_Install_Setup_Guide.pdf

It will walk you through the process.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I talked to
and the tech informed that I can't load Leopard of Time Machine on my computer. It doesn't meet the requirements so, 'm thinking about investing in a iMac.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
16 pages ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I put the cd in the computer and started the installation. When it asked where I wanted to install it, I clicked on my HD and the error message appeared and said, I can't load it because I already have a new version in my computer.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Well, I still have the problem with the pin wheel. I guess I'm going to have to get a new computer and donate this one to charity
Sorry, I forgot a step in there, you need to reformat your hard drive first follow these steps:

1. Insert the OS X Install DVD in your Mac's SuperDrive (the CD/DVD reader).
  2. Restart your Mac by selecting the 'Restart' option in the Apple menu. When the display goes blank, press and hold the 'c' key on the keyboard.
  3. Booting from the DVD can take a little time. Once you see the grey screen with the Apple logo in the middle, you can release the ‘c’ key.
  4. Select ‘Use English for the main language.' when this option appears, then click the arrow button.
  5. Select 'Disk Utility' from the Utilities menu.
  6. Quit Disk Utility by selecting 'Quit Disk Utility' from the Disk Utility menu item. This will take you back to the Install OS X window.
  7. Now you can continue with the steps outlined in the manual you printed.
while in the disk utility, you will click on your hard drive, and click erase. It will then be able to be reinstalled.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm not going to delay your payment any longer. If it works fine! If not well chalk one up for a learning session. a
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Aggie, I did everything you said to do and the wheel still apears

If this did not work to solve your problem, it is just the speed of your processor or the amout of RAM in your system. You could try to upgrade your current system, but you would probably be better off saving that cash and purchasing a new Mac.