Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

iMac crashes mostly on Firefox; also sometimes freezes ...

Customer Question

iMac crashes mostly on Firefox; also sometimes freezes on startup and while in e-mail, etc.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Hi. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this.

Please tell me the following and I hope we can get you back onto a stable machine.

What iMac do you have? Intel, G5, G4?
What version of the OS?
Do you have a restore CD or retail installer of that OS?
Have you added any Ram recently?
Has the iMac had a power outage affect it?

Let me know and we can move forward.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
G5; 10.4.11; don't know if I have the cd; no RAM installed recently; power outage about 7-10 days ago.

I'm originally from West Chester... small world, huh?

VR
Earl
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Ha. That's great. Lived there myself.

Ok, did this problem start about the time of the outage or more recently.

The reason I may want your CD is we will most likely need to repair the hard drive and that should be done by booting off another drive or CD.

Any chance you have AppleCare and got the TechTool Pro CD?

I suspect that their is some corruption on the drive or some caches have been corrupted..

Please do the following and then get back to me:
Shut down the iMac
Boot up and hold the shift key down. This will boot into Safe Boot mode.
This process takes a while, so please be patient with it and wait until it fully boots into the FInder
Restart the Mac after it finishes booting. Safe Boot does some magic and some maintenance and I hope that helps here.

See if any of your symptoms re-appear.

If this answer helps, please click on Accept.

Thanks,
Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks; no AppleCare; thought it was indestructible; next time... will let you know on the re-boot.

VR
Earl
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Did this help any?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
appears to work
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Great. Let us know if we can help again.

TY