Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

The headphone socket of my macbook (bought 10

The headphone socket of my macbook (bought 10 months ago) no longer works so that when I plug in my speakers (which work elsewhere) there is silence. There has been no accident to the mac and everything else works. Do I send the computer back to where I bought it, send it to apple, or is there something user servicable?
Hi. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help you.

What version of the OS are you using?

You have tried the speakers/headphones elsewhere and they still work?

Is sound still coming out of the internal speakers?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Mike's Post: It's Mac OS X
The speakers work elsewhere
The internal speakers work

Ok. I want to have you do the following. If there is no hardware issue with the port itself, then it should be working after this.

First, go to System preferences and choose Sound
Click on the Output Tab and make sure that the Output volume slider is up near full and that the Mute checkbox is empty.

Then, take your headphones or speaker cable and plug it into the port while watching the output pref pane. It should change from Internal to Headphone. If it does, then there may be a hardware issue with the port. Try putting the jack in and out several times and watch the pref pane.

If this does not work, then the only option I have is to take it in and have an Apple Genius check it out. It may need a hardware repair. Let's hope not.

If this answers your question, please click Accept.
Thanks and let me know.