Aggie Mac Master
Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius
Experience:  B.S. Biology from Texas A&M University and Long-time Mac User
11127226

Hello! I am using acrobat 7 professional on a G5 ...

Customer Question

Hello! I am using acrobat 7 professional on a G5 mac and currently working on a 25 page emailable catalogue, problem is when I set a link to open another file (which is also a pdf - single page) it links on my machine but when emailing it says it cant open any of them and i''m assuming its because it needs embedding within the pdf document! so how the hell can I do this? this catalogue needs to be fully working by tomorrow so i''m under some real pressure to get this thing finished! any help would be fantastic! - thankyou -XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Hi.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help you.

I did some quick research and was able to open a PDF in Acrobat, type out a WWW link and the using the menu command, process it into a link that took me to the web site.

is this what you are trying to do?

What specific things are not happening?

Let me know and I'll see if we can't get you moving.

Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Hrmmm... I just re-read your question and now get it... a file is to be opened.

Does this file have to be separate? Can it be another page, say at the end? Because now I cannot find any references to a file NOT being local. In other words, the file would have to be part of the PDF Archive and expanded into the same directory as the PDF doc so it can find it. Maybe create a Folder, put the PDF and the linked PDF into it and archive the folder, then send that. The Link in the first PDF would point to the second PDF by linking into this folder before you compress and send.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Mike's Post: I tried this and the problem I'm having is the link states exactly where the linked page is on my machine so i'm assuming its always going to look for it in that folder and so when emailed to another machine it has no connection to that folder and so breaks the link! I cant treat it like another page because each link ( and there is one on every page) is a close up shot of something already on the master page! I thought about using the page view set to zoom in but at the resolution I have it - ( in order to be emailable) it just looks pixelated! I really need someway of embedding these images within the one pdf document!
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Ok, so to get this right in my head, you are trying to link to hires graphics so they click on the picture or link in the PDF and it opens the hi res version, but your links are not working because the files are not accessible?

There are ways to get the hi-res version embedded. I just do not know enough about this so I will have to opt-out and allow another Expert take this on.

I read about embedding the hi res versions, but cannot explain it to you well enough to suit me, so this way someone with better Acrobat experience can help you,

Sorry, and good luck,
Expert:  Aggie Mac Master replied 6 years ago.
I'm another expert here at Just Answers, and I will help you with your issue.

Alright, the first thing I need to know is what version of Adobe Acrobat are you using?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thankyou! Acrobat 7 on a G5 mac running 10.4.8
Ok, Here's what you do:

In order to do this, you need to remove the links that you have already created.

You are going to replace these links with either a logo of a graph, paperclip, thumb tack, or a tag.

For each image you want to attach to the the document:

1. Click Tools>Comment and Markup>Attach a File as a Comment

2. Click near where you want the attachment icon to be

3. The Add Attachment dialogue box opens, select the image you want to attach.

4. The File Attachment Properties dialogue box opens, and you can select the icon you want to denote the attached image, you can change the color of the icon and the opacity here too.

5. You can select the General Tab to give more information about the image, that will be displayed to the viewer when they scroll over the icon.

6. Click OK

You have now added the image file to your document.