Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

Situation iMac G5, 20” (August 2004; PowerMac 8,1;

Situation: iMac G5, 20” (August 2004; PowerMac 8,1; 1.8GHz; Hard Drive 250GB; 2GB RAM; Mac OS 10.5.4).
The system worked fine until last week when I upgraded to Since then the Browser (Safari 3.1.2 as well as Firefox 3.0.1) need at average 30 Seconds to load any page.
I also have a PowerBook G4, 17” (April 2004; PowerBook 5,5; 1.5GHz; Hard Drive 80GB; 2GB RAM; Mac OS 10.5.4) I upgraded this machine as well but there is no problem, with any Browser (Safari 3.1.3, Firefox 3.0.1 and others, like Camino, Opera, even Netscape), each brings up a page within two to three seconds.
Both computers are connected via Airport Extreme to the same Network feed by an AirPort Extreme Base Station with Modem within 30 Feet of either computer. Cable Modem Motorola SBG900 with Wireless disabled, IP Comcast Cable.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Aggie Mac Master replied 8 years ago.
If you try to transfer a file from the iMac to the PowerBook does is it also slow, or is that the normal speed?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No. On the PowerBook everything works fine. The same pages as on the iMac, need on the Powerbook only few seconds but in the iMac minimum 30 Seconds or more.
So, say you try to visit

That will take a long time to load.

Try going to

Does this load faster?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
On my PwerBook it needs about 1.5 seconds on the iMac 27.5 Seconds.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Just a continuation of my original question:
Repaired the Hard Drive (via Disk Utility) but still the iMac needs extreme time to load any page in any Browser.
Since only one computer of the Network is affected by this slowliness, it should be sure to assume that the iMac has a software Problem but even if started through “Safe Boot Mode, the problem continues.
Any one with the same problems? Or does anyone know the trick how to get my iMac back as it was before seem to have screwed up?
Thank you for your impute.
and you tried the repairing the startup drive by booting from the leopard dvd?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes I did.

Sorry, it is late now (2:00 AM) and I have spend hours to try fixing the problem on my own. I am an Apple User since 1984 and believe I know what I am doing, but obviously here I have reached a wall.
However. Is it possible you send me an answer via e-mail, I will pick it up later today, I am really tired now and better get some sleep, my night is over at 7:00 AM…
Hope to hear from you later withs sonme good suggestions or a fix.
Good night, I will research this for you.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hello Aggie Mac Master, I am back available, just send me your results whenever possible. Thanks.
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
Hi. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to assist you with this question from here.

I would like to know what the network settings are and if they differ at all in the 2 Macs.

This really sounds like a DNS problem on the iMac.

Let me know what the settings are for each interface you use and maybe we can get a different set of DNS servers in there to try and resolve this.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Surprise, I found that out as well and just wanted to send the following Message: (However, thanks anyway)

I found out the problem!

Recently my Cable Services switched from Adelphia to Comcast and new DSN Server Numbers where assigned. I had switched them on my Laptop but not on the iMac.
After I changed the DSN to the proper ones (in the TCP/IP Panel) , the iMac loads pages even faster than the PowerBook.
Thanks for your efforts. May be this info can help you in future cases.
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
Thanks. If you could accept this answer I would appreicate it.

Good Luck!

Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is not fair to either of us. I TRULY found it out by myself and found your answer when I kindly wanted to inform your services are not farther needed.
But surely you will argue that your answer was right as well and you send it almost 2 hours before me.
Its okay. I will not use this service any longer anyway and leave the funds there forever does not make sense either. So take it.