Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

Missing Folder Thread

Customer Question

Dear Staff:

I continue to receive the following message on my Mac: Macintosh HD Missing Folder Thread -64

Any ideas as to what this is and how to remedy it? I have run Disk Utility and Tech Tools on it to no avail.

Thank you!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Aggie Mac Master replied 5 years ago.
1. Disk Utility cannot repair the directory structure of the active startup disk but in Mac OS X 10.4 or 10.5, it can verify the active startup disk. To repair an OS X system disk with Disk Utility, you must startup the computer using an Apple Software Restore disc (included with newer Macs) or a Mac OS X Install disc. Insert the disc, restart the computer, and hold the C key when you hear the startup sound. You can release the key when the gray Apple appears.

2. It is normal for the computer to take longer to startup from a CD or DVD. The disc will automatically start the OS X installer but you do not need to reinstall OS X. If you are prompted to select a language and you do not see the menu bar at the top of the screen, click the right arrow button to proceed to the next screen.

3. Choose Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.

4. Select the name of the hard drive (e.g. Macintosh HD) on the left side of the window and click the First Aid tab if it is not already selected. To check the directory of the disk and attempt repair of any problems found, click the Repair Disk button. If it finds any problems, it will list them. Otherwise, it will say "The volume Macintosh HD appears to be OK."

To check and repair system file permissions, select the name of the hard drive on the left and click the Repair Disk Permissions button.

If this doesn't work, respond back and I can try to find a different technique for you.

If this answers your question, please kindly select * ACCEPT * so I can be rewarded for my efforts.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Reply to Aggie Mac Master's Post: Hi Aggie:

Nope. Didn't work. Ran Repair Disk Permissions and also ran Repair Disk.

Any other ideas?
I'm going to turn your question over to one of my colleagues, he may be able to help you with this problem better than I.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hi.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help you with this question.

I see that you ran Disc Utility and had no luck. Can you tell me whether it could not fix the problem or it said nothing was wrong?

Let me know. I'll keep researching while I wait for your reply.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hi.
Just following up.

Can you get back to me with the info I need from the last request and I will try to help you.

thanks,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Reply to Mike's Post: Good Morning, Mike:

Each time I ran Disk Utility, it showed all was fixed. However, shortly after I restarted my Mac, the same message would appear on my desktop.

I ran Tech Tool Pro 4.6.1 several times, also, but to no avail.

Peace,
Karen
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
OK. Are you running TechTool Pro? If so, I read on their site that this is something TT reports even though nothing is wrong.

The only other advice I can give is to get a copy of Disk Warrior and boot from the CD. Run Disc Warrior from the CD and let it go through the motions of rebuilding your directory. This will fix the problem, even if there isn't one.

Let me know if this works.

If you like my advice, please click the Accept button.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Mike:

I do not own Disk Warrior, but will purchase and run it.

Will let you know if it works.

By the way, I was charged for services even though my problem was not resolved yet.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
OK. You made a deposit, but only when you click Accept do you actually pay me and JustAnswer for the service.

Disc Warrior will rebuild the directory and remove the problem, but I still am curious if you use TechTool Pro and did you install it?

Let me know.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Mike:

Yes. As I mentioned previously, I ran Tech Tool Pro 4.6.0 to no avail.

Perhaps I hit Accept in a previous email because the $15 has been charged to my credit card.

Peace,
Karen
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Well, no. The charge is placed in a deposit account for you. It is not spent, in the sense that we take it to pay the expert unless you click Accept. I see next to your name there are no accepts and one question, so we have not moved that money from your deposit.

I believe you can request a refund. i can find out about that if need be.

The reason I ask about techTool Pro is not if you ran it, but did you install it so it monitors your hard drive continuously. This is where the problem actually is, there really is no erro, as Disc Utility has shown, but rather TT saying there is. You probably do not need Disc warrior even, but to play it safe you should do that to clean up anything that is wrong.

I am looking for a link that leads to an explanation on MicroMats website that explains this error and that it is misleading.

I'll forward it to you via this thread when i find it again.

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Here is the link I was looking for. it is a forum and the MicroMat moderator was describing false reports.

I still believe this is a false report, but again, I think Disc Warrior is your best bet if TT Pro does not see anything after following the advice in the link.

If you think this has helped you, please cick Accept.

thanks and good luck.

Let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX Warrior should be here tomorrow. Will run it and let you know how it goes.

Peace,
Karen