Aggie Mac Master
Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius
Experience:  B.S. Biology from Texas A&M University and Long-time Mac User

How can I cuztomize a Mac app icon in the dock I ...

How can I cuztomize a Mac app icon in the dock? I would like to place a jpg from iPhoto to identify the icon
Category: Mac
Expert:  Aggie Mac Master replied 8 years ago.
CandyBar is the best program to customize your icons in your dock.

You can try it out for 15 days and 250 icons.

The full version of the program goes for $29.

It makes the process very easy to customize your Mac's icons.

You can learn more here:

If this answers your question, please kindly select * ACCEPT * so I can be rewarded for my efforts.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Aggie Mac Master's Post: cannot open candybar with my version (10.4.11) of MAC. No useful help so far. If unabvle to provide more usseful help, at this time, please cancel payment.
You can get the version for Tiger here:

Also, if you need a serial number for CandyBar 2, purchase a copy of CandyBar 3 and check the bottom of your CandyBar 3 e-mail receipt — they include a complimentary serial number for CB2.

If you need anything else, just reply and I will make sure you get what you need done.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I know this can be done by my Mac without any additional software, although it will probably require more steps to accomplish it. I will print out your previous reply for future consideratrion, but for the present, I have a new Appleworks template as an Appleworks doc and would like to distinguish it from the Appleworks program already in the dock. Can you provide a step by step way to change this icon to a jpg from Google images I have selected and is now in iPhoto ready to go. At this time, I only have a need to customize this single icon. am not interested in a new app.
Step 1 - Navigate to your Macintosh HD, and find the Appleworks document you would like to distinguish from the other.

Step 2 - Find your new icon in iPhoto and copy it (command + C).

Step 3 - With your document selected (don’t open it), press Command + I for the program’s info.

Step 4 - At the top left of that dialog, you will see the app’s icon that is currently in use. Click the icon. It should get blue border around it, meaning it is selected. If you don’t get this border right away, click again, or try opening the dialog (Cmd + I) again.

Step 5 - Next, with your icon selected, you’re going to paste the new one right over it by pressing Cmd + V. The new icon should appear in both places in a second or so.

Step 6 - You’re all set! Open the document and maybe click on the desktop a couple of times and your Dock should update the new icon too!