Aggie Mac Master
Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius
Experience:  B.S. Biology from Texas A&M University and Long-time Mac User

Apparently with the installation of the latest ...

Apparently with the installation of the latest "improvement" a bug, or other malware, was introduced. All three Mac''s in the house suddenly had to use the snail like html connection. For the long term this is TOTALY UNACCEPTABLE. All are running MAC OS X v. 10.5.3. Primary access is via Safari to Hughesnet. I have tried Firefox. No better. Should ALL MAC users abandon gmail?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Aggie Mac Master replied 8 years ago.
No, I have all my computers running Leopard too. Gmail is all I use, and I get them with extreme speed!

Try upgrading your Macs to 10.5.4.

It has some performance upgrades over 10.5.3.

Some of the improvements in Safari according to Apple is:

-Addresses a potential performance issue when loading secure web pages.

-Resolves issues that may be encountered when accessing secure web pages with client certificates that reside on a smart card.

More issues fixed by this update can be found at:

You can either update to 10.5.4 using Software Update in the Apple menu, or you can download the standalone installer here:

If this update doesn't work, respond back and I will try my absolute hardest to get your systems working great. Believe me, Leopard is a great improvement over Tiger!

If this answers your question, please kindly select * ACCEPT * so I can be rewarded for my efforts.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Just tried downloading 10.5.4, rather than the 3 days 11 hours reported last time it only wanted 11 hours 40 minutes. I downloaded 10.5.3 in about 3 hours. Any movement from the "home" page is snail like.
Wow, this really sounds like it is an issue with your internet connection speed.

How do you connect to the internet, who is your service provider?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
We use hughesnet satellite service, DSL and Comcast will not provide service to this area.
To the best of my knowledge there has been no solar incident. Communication with hughes helo in Mombae is unreliable.
Could you use the link below to check your download speed:

Tell me what it reports your download and upload speeds are, this will help me in seeing where your problem resides.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
That is an .exe file,never have used one, don't intend to use one now. I'll try the hughesnet utiliy. Stand by.
It is just a flash applet, but yes use the speed test utility that you are comfortable with.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Solved! Hughesnet has a limit to howmucg I can download in any 24 hour peiod. when I atttempte to downloaad 10.5.4 I went over the limit. Download speed then degrades. Hoist on my own petard!
So do you feel that this is the cause of the slow gmail connection too?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes. Mark it up as something you need to check on. I have the "Professional Plan"