Aggie Mac Master
Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius
Experience:  B.S. Biology from Texas A&M University and Long-time Mac User
11127226

my old entourage data base is not loading into entourage --

Customer Question

I was working on entourage and the program froze - I shut down my computer and when I restarted entourage - the entire database was deleted - and the program opened like it was the first time-- I then brought in a recently saved data base from a hard drive... placed it in the main identity.. BUT when I open the program -- it does not read the replacement.. and it still opens like the first time?? I need the email to be able to read the old data base -- and for my email system to be back up.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Aggie Mac Master replied 6 years ago.
I will help you with this, what kind of Mac are you using, and what version of Entourage are you using (2004 or 2008)?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hi there - it is 2004.... let me know asap

thanks
What I want you to try, is set up Entourage as if it is your first time using the program.

When you get to the main inbox page, Click File>Import

You will get a window that asks, "What do you want to import?"

Make sure the radio button for "Entourage information from an archive or earlier version"

Click the right arrow at the bottom of the window

It will Ask you what you would like to import, select Entourage 2004 and click the right arrow.

It will warn you about having to merge the two identities, click the right arrow.

You will then get a window that asks you to select an identity, click "Browse..." at the bottom of the window, and navigate to your saved database, and click Open.

Click the right arrow, and let Entourage import your database.

After it finishes importing, you will need to select your imported identity.

Click Entourage>Switch Identity

It will ask if you are sure, click "Switch"

You will then see the identity that you created at the beginning and your newly imported identity. You can now delete the identity you created at the beginning.

After you delete that identity, select your imported identity and click OK.

This should have fixed your problem, if you need anything else, just respond to this message.

If this answers your question, please kindly select * ACCEPT * so I can be rewarded for my efforts.
Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius
Experience: B.S. Biology from Texas A&M University and Long-time Mac User
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hi... it does not allow me to select "Entourage 2004" the program.. it is grey and can not click it -- I am getting to this file via the applicaiton folder... it no work... how do I get it to see this data base?
Do you have the Office 2004 installation disc handy?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I dont ;/
Here's what we can try, below is a link to the update for Office 2004, download it, and install it. This may very well solve the problem of the application not opening. Try it and then report back if this worked.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/8/c/88cb86c3-7f73-4c54-a3e6-ef46336ccd79/Office2004-1150UpdateEN.dmg

1. Double-click the file that you downloaded above to place the Office 2004 11.5.0 Update volume on your desktop, and then double-click the Office 2004 11.5.0 Update volume to open it. This step might have been performed for you.

2. In the Office 2004 11.5.0 Update volume window, double-click the Office 2004 11.5.0 Update application to start the update process, and then follow the instructions on the screen.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it still does not allow me to click it.... when I try to import it -- any other idea's
But you are able to get Entourage to open now?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes... the program always opened... it just doesn't read the data base... so it opens like it is brand new

help ;(
Ok, I have another solution for you that may work, I haven't personally used this program before.

It is called Emailchemy and it can read your Entourage database file and convert it to a Standard Mailbox file that can be used in any program:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/email_chat/emailchemy.html

This program allows you to try it for free, but for it to convert your emails as they are you need to buy it for $29.50.

I want to have you try to convert it in the trial version and see if it works. If it doesn't we can try something else. I was searching for some program that can fix your problem and came across it.

Let me know your outcome with this...
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
its weird... when I try to browse and select the data base... I go in the main identiy folder... and there is no files... like the folder is totally empty -- but when I browse outside of the program.. the data base is in there -- why does it not even see the data base.. before it could see it but not select... now I can't even see it

what do you think.. thanks for your help on this so far

also... I see you are in tx ... I can call you if you think it would help

let me know

p
I haven't been much help thus far, but I hope I can before the night is out.

We cannot contact customers via telephone per Just Answer policies, but I am currently searching for another solution for you.

Hang tight.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hey... thanks for helping me.. I had to leave my computer last night.. I now have the hard drive with all the information on it... when I try to select the data base via this =- it cannot see the info as well... man.. I can't get a break with this -- let me know if you have come up with any idea's - this has been a pretty big issue for me.... thanks,
p
When you right click the database file, and click get info, what does it say under "Size:"?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
10.85 GB
Wow, ok good. That means that your data is there!

Now we just need to get Entourage to read it. I will look further into it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ya... that is good I know... lucky I saved the entire documents folder one hour before I lost everything... I'm actually at a trade show in vegas... so that is why my comunication is a bit spotty...

ANY idea's now?
The only thing that I think may help is using the installation disc to repair Entourage.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I think you are right... I will get back to you when I have access

thanks
I will be here.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can't find the office 2004.. should I go an buy a 2008? -- or is there anywhere I can download this program from for free - or for pay?
I use 2008, and I find it much more reliable than 2004.

It is not downloadable unfortunately but I found the Home and Student Edition for $119.99 here:

http://www.datavis.com/cgi-bin/product.cgi?prrfnbr=474652&site=INCH&vendor=cii_3147335&srccode=cii_3147335&cpncode=19-890397

I highly recommend the upgrade. It is a vast improvement.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how much are they normal price -- does this have an option to import 2004... do you think this will work?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am ready to make this happen.. but I need this asap -- coast $50 to overnight.. I prob wouldn't ge this until tuesday... anywhere in LA I can get the student version
Best Buy sells it for $149.99

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8634542&type=product&id=1194052902270

The Apple Store also sells it for $149.95

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TQ744LL/A?mco=NzI2NDc0

If you take your computer into the Apple Store, I bet they would even be able to help you get your emails imported at the Genius Bar.

There are multiple Apple Stores in LA:

Apple Store, Century City
10250 Santa Monica Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90067 (NNN) NNN-NNNN

Apple Store, Beverly Center XXXXX Suite #656
Los Angeles, CA 90048 (NNN) NNN-NNNN

Apple Store, The Grove
189 The Grove Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90036 (NNN) NNN-NNNN

There is also a Fry's Electronics in LA, they have it for $129.99

2311 N Hollywood Way
Burbank, CA 91505 (NNN) NNN-NNNN

http://shop3.frys.com/product/5473589?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'll try this - if it works... i will accept the button below so that you can get paid.. you have been very helpful... just a wack situation with the data base

wish me luck
Good luck to you!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hi - i installed the new disk -- but it still does not read the old data base... should I delete the old 2004 ... and then start with the new one? -- please advise

thanks,
Parvez
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hi -- so I deleleted all the 2004 and microsoft files... then I put the disk in and download it.... strange thing is when I go to open the entrougarge.... the program says is was installed on the original date in 2006? -- how can my computer read that when it was originally installed -- when I have deleted the entire program?? This is getting anoying -- HELP
There are many hidden files in the support files in your computer.

I recommend using Appzapper to completely erase all the extraneous files related to Office.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hey... I had to take it to a guy... $300 later I got it all back.... yaa!

THanks for all your help tho.. you were very good -- I would like to keep intouch with you for something like this in the future... let me know how that could happen

I will accept -- thanks,
parvez
I'm glad to hear it, if you ever need help again, you can just ask for me when you ask the question. I would be more than happy to help you again in the future.

I'm sorry it took $300 to get it right.