Aggie Mac Master
Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius
Experience:  B.S. Biology from Texas A&M University and Long-time Mac User

I have a 24 iMac. I was away on vacation

Customer Question

I have a 24" iMac. I was away on vacation for 2 weeks and when I returned home and turned the computer on there was a green stripe running vertically about 6" from the right side of the screen. Is there an easy solution or do I have to send it in to be repaired?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Aggie Mac Master replied 8 years ago.
Apple suggests this for video problems:

The System Management Controller (SMC) is a chip on the logic board that controls all power functions for your computer. If your computer is experiencing any power issue, resetting the SMC may resolve it. The SMC controls several functions.

Note that resetting the SMC does not reset the PRAM. Resetting the SMC will not resolve issues in which your computer is unresponsive—in these situations, restarting your computer will generally suffice. If your computer isn't responding, perform these steps one at a time, in this order, until the issue has been resolved:

1. Force Quit (Option-Command-Escape).
2. Restart (Control-Command-Power).
3. Force Shut Down (press the power button for 10 seconds).

Resetting the SMC can resolve some computer issues such as not starting up, not displaying video, sleep issues, fan noise issues, and so forth. If your computer still exhibits these types of issues after you've restarted the computer, try resetting the SMC. To reset the SMC on an iMac (Early 2006), iMac (Mid 2006), iMac (Late 2006), or Mac mini (Early 2006):

1. From the Apple menu, choose Shut Down (or if the computer is not responding, hold the power button until it turns off).

2. Unplug all cables from the computer, including the power cord and any display cables.

3. Wait at least 15 seconds.

4. Plug the power cord back in, making sure the power button is not being pressed at the time. Then reconnect your keyboard and mouse to the computer.

5. Press the power button on the back to start up your computer.

The iMac (Early 2006) and later models do not have a button on the main logic board for resetting the SMC, which eliminates the need to remove the computer's cover to reset it (as required for some earlier models).

Try this, and if it doesn't work, respond and I will dig deeper into Apple literature to see if there is some other solution that could easily fix your problem. I feel for you, I have a 24" iMac too and the screen is what makes it so beautiful.

If this answers your question, please kindly select * ACCEPT * so I can be rewarded for my efforts.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Aggie Mac Master's Post: Thank you for the quick response. Unfortunately that procedure didn't remedy my problem. I'd greatly appreciate any other suggestions you might have.

You are not the only one who has experienced this problem, there are many reports of this happing to various iMacs.

Some people seem to think that this problem is due to the Graphics processor overheating, The way to see if this is the problem is to download this program:

and turn the fans all the way up. See if this fixes the line problem. I am assuming that your computer is still under warranty, and would recommend calling at 1-800-APL-CARE (1-800-275-2273) as this may very well be a hardware issue that you need to get fixed.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Aggie Mac Master's Post: Respectfully, XXXXX XXXXX and have searched the Apple site on my own. I was hoping for more insight and technical know how.
There are high amounts of heat that are created by and near the inverter could cause condensation on the inverter. When the inverter fails, the LCD panel often exhibits vertical lines like the ones that you mention. The other possibility is a defect in the video processing chip. NVIDIA has announced defects in some of their GeForce 8 series chips. It is possible that you have one of these defective chips. To verify whether it is the graphics chip, you could connect an external monitor to the iMac and see if the vertical line is replicated on it. If it does not show on the external monitor, it is either a defect in the inverter, or the LCD panel itself.