Aggie Mac Master
Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius
Experience:  B.S. Biology from Texas A&M University and Long-time Mac User

I get This startup disk will not work with this

Customer Question

I get "This startup disk will not work with this Macintosh model."   All original hardware for iMac G3 333mHz (Lime). Disk Utility did not help. Reset startup disk, no help. Reload firmware, no help. If I boot from Tech Tool or OS 9.1 Install, I can see and read the disk OK. What''s going on? How can I fix this?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Aggie Mac Master replied 8 years ago.
1. Start up with the system restore CD that came with the computer and run Disk First Aid.

2. Verify system software is Mac OS 8.6 or higher.

3. Perform a clean restore of system software using the system restore CD that came with the computer.

If this doesn't work, reply back, and I will try to find another solution for you.

If this answers your question, please kindly select * ACCEPT * so I can be rewarded for my efforts.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I was thinking about doing that. I wasn't sure that would work but I will give it a try. I am trying to back up all documents etc first. Hopefully it is not because disk ID changed on the disk itself. Then I am probably toast.

Aggie Mac Master?? My daughter starts at A&M next month.

College Station is a great and safe place, she will enjoy herself at A&M. Best of luck to you and her!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
She is in Business Honors, Lechner dorm. Maybe do med school. Nice to get your view of Aggieland. Thanks again.
We have 3 Macs (Performa 550, the iMac 333MH Lime and white iBook 500MH). This is the first problem I am having real trouble with.
We also have 2 PCs because high school used them. OK but not a Mac. iBook is the best one.
The Lechner dorm is the most normal of the dorms, as it is a strictly honors dorm. She will not have a problem studying there like some of the other dorms. If she wants to go to medical school, A&M will prepare her well. I am currently interviewing at medical schools to enter in the Fall of 2009 and A&M is looked highly upon by medical schools.

The Office of Professional School Advising within the Honors department does a great job walking students through the process. Make sure she uses any breaks to volunteer in both medical areas and non-medical areas (Hospital & Food Bank, for example), as they are both important on the medical school application.

The last thing I would say, is to make sure she takes full advantage of the honors classes provided. I have taken at least one honors section every semester at A&M, and I felt that they really broadened me.

All the best.