Aggie Mac Master
Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius
Experience:  B.S. Biology from Texas A&M University and Long-time Mac User

I am trying to Install Os10.4 from DVD to Imac G4 over ...

Customer Question

I am trying to Install Os10.4 from DVD to Imac G4 over 10.39. It most often ejects the disc. Startup from disc sometimes works. When I get the install screen (which happens but rarely, say 3 times out of 30 tries), I can get to the point where it says checking target and then get an error. It tells me to try again. I restart and then I''m back trying to get it to hang on to the disc and give me the install screen again. Please help
Category: Mac
Expert:  Aggie Mac Master replied 8 years ago.
Do you have a full copy of 10.4? Or is it from another machine?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Aggie Mac Master's Post: It is a full copy install DVD
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I mean purchased from Apple computer
It sounds like it could be a problem with the DVD drive being dirty. What you should try is buying a DVD drive lens cleaner. That will most likely solve the problem of the computer reading from the install disc.

If this fixes your problem, please kindly select * ACCEPT * so I can be rewarded for my efforts.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Aggie, thanks. I'll try that. I will come back and accept later after I purchase the cleaner, OK?
Yeah, no rush. If it doesn't work, I will look more in-depth to what could be causing the problem. But since its an iMac G4, it makes me think it's the drive. Good Luck!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Well, it seems you are right about the DVD reader, but it appears to be a tough case. I bought a cleaner (Memorex CD/DVD optidisc), which it basically read (a few sporadic kick outs) and cleaned a few times. The first time I tried the OS X disc after cleaning 2X, the install icon appeared on the desktop, but disc was rejected on restart. Cleaned a few times more but no luck since. I will "accept" because I believe you are right (and that is definitely worth 15 bucks). However, perhaps you have another idea (hopefully cheap) on how to deal with such a temperamental reader.
If you aren't too timid about opening up the computer, you can purchase a new drive for the G4 iMac for a relatively cheap price. You can get one here for $89.95:

It doesn't look like a too terribly difficult installation. You can see the entire process here:

Thanks for using Just Answer!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.