Claws224, IEEE Datacommunication Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

I have a powerbook G4 running.I just turned it on, ...

Customer Question

I have a powerbook G4 running.
I just turned it on, and a bunch of text showed up on the screen, the first line being:" panic(cpu 0 caller 0x002E1EC4): Unable to find driver for this platform:"powerbook5,4""

then there''s a whole mess of text i don''t understand, and then it says:

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 8.11.0:
Wed Oct 10 18:26:00 PDT 2007; root:xnu/xnu-792.24.17~1/Release_PPC

then it goes on to say:

"No debugger configured - dumping debug information"

then the last line of text says:
"panic: We are hanging here..."
Help
Is there anything I can do to reboot the computer
Category: Mac
Expert:  Claws224 replied 8 years ago.

Do you have your OS install disks?

Let us know

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Claws224's Post: We are looking, but cannot find them right now.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 8 years ago.

Ok,

If you can find them or borrow a set you can put the disk in the drive then boot your machine with the C key held down.

then go through the installer menu till you get to Click the volume that you wish to install to, click Options. Select Archive and Install. then select the volume which already has Mac OS X installed.

This way your mac will reinstall the OS and keep all of your documents settings etc in a folder called previous system.

Let me know if you find the disks.

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Claws224's Post: Ok. I found my Mac OS X Install Discs for version 10.4. Are these the disks I need?
Expert:  Claws224 replied 8 years ago.

Yep,

Those should work fine, Just follow the instructions I posted.

Unfortunately with a Kernel Panic like this the only fix is to reinstall, However at least with OSX you can perform the archive so that you can keep your files.

Let me know if you need more info or have more problems.

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I had a disc in the computer when this happened. How do I get it out? Please tell me there is a way!
Expert:  Claws224 replied 8 years ago.

Ok,

turn the machine off, then press and hold the mouse button and power the machine on.

Keep the mouse button held down till the disc ejects.

Let me know what happens.

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I got the disc out. Thank you! XXXXX started the installation like you told me to. However, my computer is saying that there isn't enough space to install anything. Even if I unselect Printer Drivers, ADditional Fonts, Language Translations, and Bundled Software. I still need 1.9 GB. What should I do?
Expert:  Claws224 replied 8 years ago.

Hmmm,

Do you have another Mac and a firewire cable?

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes. I also have a external harddrive; a LaCie d2 hard drive extreme with 320 GB. Will this help?
Expert:  Claws224 replied 8 years ago.

Ok,

I want to try putting your damaged Mac into target mode so that it acts like a firewire drive, This way you can copy your files to the other machine if disk diagnostics dont work.

Power off the damaged machine and connect the two machines with the firewire cable and Start up the damaged machine, immediately press and hold down the T key until the FireWire icon appears and shortly after it should mount on the good machines desktop.

Let me know whenyou get that done.

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The icon is on the other computer now. What is next.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 8 years ago.

Ok,

Did the other drive mount on the good machine?

If so could you open your Macintosh Hard Drive and go to Applications,Utilities then open Disk Utilities and use First Aid to scan your damaged machines drive.

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I'm going to have to finish this tomorrow afternoon. Is there any way I can get in touch with you then? I appreciate all your help.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 8 years ago.

No problem,

Just come back and post here, I check my email approx every 30mins so I should know when you are here.

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Ok, I have done everything you've said so far, however, the First Aid icon doesn't do anything when I click it. The options offered are: verify disk permission, repair disk permission, verify disk, and repair disk. Are any of these what I need to choose?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have to go again. I'll try to catch you tomorrow. Thanks
Expert:  Claws224 replied 8 years ago.

Ok,

Choose repair disk and let it run to see if it will repair your OS, Once it is finished shut down the damaged machine an see if it will boot.

If it will not then reconnect it using the firewire and remove any files you want to back up to your good machine.

Then try booting the damaged machine from your OSX disk and see if you can reformat and reload the damaged machine.

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Everytime I tried to use the First Aid it said that it couldn't do it because the application wasn't supported. So, I think I've gotten all the files off that I need. Now, how do I boot my commputer from the OSX disk?
Expert:  Claws224 replied 8 years ago.

Ok,

Just boot with the cd in the machine, Press and hold the C key down as soon as you let go of the power button.

Then when it opens to the installer select format(journalled)

Let it format then install your OS.

Let me know if you have any issues.

Thanks