Claws224, IEEE Datacommunication Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

DVD not communicating with MAC

Customer Question

Using OS 10.4.11 on PowerMac G4, CPU Speed 500 MHz, L2 Cache per CPU 1MB, (only 1 CPU), 384MB Memory. Had Plextor DVD attached; it''s working but not communicating with Mac either USB or Firewire. Any suggestions (internal dvd which came with Mac has not worked for a while either for some unknown reason). Thanks
Category: Mac
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

HI,

If you open your disk utility from the application folder and run it on your DVD drive do you get any errors?

Let us know

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, and it revealed no errors. This was on the Hard drive only, because the disk utility nor anything else sees the dvd reader/writer at all
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Hmmm

What happens when you plug the DVD into another port?

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
same thing, and the port works with other peripherals
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Hmm,

owlong have you had this DvD drive?

thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
2+ years; and it always worked very well before. More troubling to me is the fact the DVD reader installed within the computer no longer works either; I can't release the disk that may be in there. That's why I had to buy an external so that I could load cds and dvds.
Thanks
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

First could you shut down the machine and disconnect the external drive, THen press and hold down the mouse button and power the machine on. Keep the mouse held till the CD ejects from the built in drive.

This way we can see if the machine is connecting to the internal drive.

Next I would like you reset the PRAM

Shut the machine down again then turn on the computer and press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys as soon as you have pressed the power button.

Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time and then release the keys.

Once the machine boots back up try reconnecting your external drive again and let me know if it will mount.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No change on either procedure
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

So with the DVD connected or disconnected it would not eject the disk,Is that correct?

Do you have your OSX disks?

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

Could you put your OX disk into either drive and then reboot your mac, As soon as you have pressed the power button press and hold the C key down nd keep it pressed till hopefully it boots to the installer menu.

If it boots to the installer let me know so we can see if it is a hardware or software/firmware failure.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I cannot access the internal DVD; it won't eject (if anything is in there) or open (if nothing is in there). I do not remember whether I had anything in there or not before it quit working;, but I think I did.
However I placed the OSX disk (1 of 5) and the OSX Hardware disk and restarted trying to boot from the dvd drive with either and both time it booted from the hard drive as always.
I put a zip disk in the drive just below the DVD internal and it read fine. Could I have some extension or control panel off, or do you think it may be a connection issue. Anything else plugged in to that port works fine.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

could you shut down the machine and disconnect the external drive, Then press and hold down the mouse button and power the machine on. Keep the mouse held till the CD ejects from the built in drive.

Let me know if it ejected, or opened.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
When I did that the light on the DVD drive blinked quickly, so I then was able to pry the top of the door down and see no disk within. But I cannot get the drawer to open
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

I think we need to write off the internal drive as it is possible that it may work, However booting holding the mouse should have give some kind of response.

Could you disconnect the external drive thenreboot your machine, assoon as it powers back on could you pres and hold the Shift key, Keep the key held down until you see the load icon then let go and wait up to 30mins for your machine to go into safe boot.

Once the machine boots just restart it like normal then try plugging the drive back in.

If that does not work could you reset the PMU, http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=95037

Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK, I did all that and the drive(s) still do not come up.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

Which USB port are you pugging your drive into?

Do you have anything else plugged into your USB ports, If so could you unplug everything then connect only the USB drive.

Thanks