Claws224, IEEE Datacommunication Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

I use Mac OS 10.3.9 and Firefox 2.0.0.6. Recently my ...

I use Mac OS 10.3.9 and Firefox 2.0.0.6. Recently my computer takes a very long time to load my home page. I see the spinning beach ball. I have to force quit firefox to end session. Sometimes I can serf the internet and suddenly I will have the same problem with a page not loading and have instead the spinning ball. This doesn''t happen with Safari. I really like Firefox but this issue makes for a lot of frustration.

What type of Mac are you using?

How much free hard drive space do you have?

Do any other applications such as movies music etc hang up?

Let us know

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Mac Mini
How do I find the amount of free hard drive?

Ok,

If you double click on your Macintosh HD and right click, and select Get info, it should comes up with something like the following:

Capacity: 100 GB
Available: 50.00 GB
Used: 50.00 GB

Let me know what it says for available and if the machine seems slow doing anything else.

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It says 40.43 GB available. No the machine is fine doing everything else.

Ok,

I wanted to make sur eyou had plenty of free rescources as that is usually the first thing that can cause this.

So having checked that can you first empty your Java cache by opening your Macintosh Hard Dive and going to Applications, Utilities, java, java (version Number) plug-in settings, Then select the cache tab and select clear then reset.

Then try surfing and tell me what happens.

Also let me know what your homeapge is set to.

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My home page is the NY Times. I tried opening Firefox and still have the same problem.

Ok,

Could you click this link and tell me what happens http://www.macloo.com/examples/flash/animation/martini.htm

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It opens immediately in Safari. When I tried to open Firefox to paste in the link, I still get the spinning ball and the homepage doesn't open.

Great,

The link I gave you is for a Flash Animation, Your home page has flash imbedded in it so I wanted to see if that may be the issue.

Could you try to download the latest version for Mac from here http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash&P2_Platform=MacOSX

Install it then rebot and try your page again.

Let me know what happens.

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I think you've solved the problem, Eric!

Great,

Glad to hear it.

Just let us know if we can be of any help in the future.

Regards

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you, Eric! I appreciate your patience and I'm sure glad you solved the problem.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The fix worked for a little while - less than an hour. I just tried to use firefox again and I have the same problem.

Ok,

In that case could you shut down your Mac and then boot it back up, As soon as you have let go of the power button press and hold the Shift key down until you see the load icon.

It may take up to 30 minutes for your machine to open in Safe Boot,Once it has reboot like normal and let me know what happens.

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Firefox is now working. Let's hope it takes this time. Thank you again.

Am I supposed to pay again?

No,

We keep going till we fix your issue and you only have to pay once, If you have more issues with this just come back and re post in here again.

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you, Eric. I hope I won't be bothering you again.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Here I am again, Eric. Same problem.
Pat
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
This problem has not been solved. I would appreciate some more helph. Thank you.

Hi again.

Tell me what it is doing, Is it still hanging on random pages or do you know if it is the pages with flash?

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I don't know. It works for a while and then starts hanging. Once it starts, it doesn't correct. Interestingly, it doesn't seem to do this on my husband's Firefox. We are different users on the same computer.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have not had a response from you for three days and the problem is not solved. Are you planning to continue trying to help me?

Ok,

So it only does this on your account is that correct?

If so could you try clearing the cache and see if the issue stops, From the Firefox menu, select Preferences then from the sheet that drops down, select Privacy. and click Clear Now.and then OK.

Let me know what happens.

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hello, I did what you suggested and I'm still having the same problem.