Aggie Mac Master
Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius
Experience:  B.S. Biology from Texas A&M University and Long-time Mac User

I bought a mac g4 at an estate sale and cant get past ...

I bought a mac g4 with operating system 10.4.10 at an estate sale and can''t get past the old owners password... can you help! Thanks!! I heard that there is a generic password XXXXX I can get..

Hi and Welcome to Just Answer,

Ok, let's take a look at this;

In order to fix this you will need to use your disk or get a disk, and then follow the instructions

Insert the install CD and reboot your computer.

Press the C key while the computer is booting hold it down until the Apple logo appears.
Select Reset Password XXXXX the Utilities menu then choose your username. Then follow the rest of the prompts

More info here

If you need more help Let me know

If you find this post helpful please take a few minutes to leave Feedback.

By you leaving Positive Feedback you give your Expert additional opportunities to earn extra CASH and Recognition.

If you would like to give a Bonus they are always welcome.

If there is anything else let me know, If not click accept. Thank You Michael L.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Michael L............JA MAC Tonight's Post: Hi. Thanks for helping. I bought this computer at an estate sale and all the software was installed. I received no discs at all...
If you don't have access to your Mac's admin account password, don't worry. Assuming you haven't locked out OpenFirmware, it's a pretty simple task to change your password XXXXX to something you know.

Here's how:
Hold Apple+S when booting to enter single user mode

#sh /etc/rc
#passwd yourusername

If you can't recall your user name, you can either look in the /Users folder (the directories are named by user), or run "niutil -list . /users".

Also, on older systems the /etc/rc script isn't available, apparently. If that second step fails, try mounting and starting the base services manually:

#/sbin/fsck -y
#/sbin/mount -uw /

I've had to do this a couple of times for friends when they've bought a second hand machine, and once when I had a momentary brain lapse and forgot my own password. Works like a charm, though you'll loose any passwords stored in your keychain.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Aggie Mac Master's Post: i did all of the above and got to where I'm supposed to enter a new password. when I do, a text comes up saying sorry. also the text up on top says the the hard drive is read only... I've gone into the users window to try to change the password XXXXX but the window is locked down in the corner. I think if I can unlock the users window I might be able to proceed...
Ok try this,

- Reboot

- Hold apple + s down after you hear the chime.

-When you get text prompt enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

shutdown -h now

After rebooting you should have a brand new admin account. When you login as the new admin you can simply delete the old one.

Let me know if this method works for you. Thanks for giving us a try to help.
One caveat to this is that in the process you delete ALL information on the system, which shouldn't be a problem as it wasn't your information in the first place. This method creates a new account and takes over the computer with a fresh start.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I rebooted my computer and held the apple s keys until I heard the chime... Now all I get is a flashing globe in the middle of the screen. No matter what I try I can't get my system back!!
The globe means that your Mac was trying to boot for a network startup disk which is enabled when the "N" key is pressed during the boot up process. Maybe you hit that key by accident?

Turn on your machine and hold the Option key down. This should allow you to then select the HD to boot from, if the HD is working and has a bootable system on it. If the HD shows up, select it and hit the arrow, it should then boot from the HD. After that, check your System Preferences, Startup Disk, and make sure the HD is selected as the startup volume, and not Network. Hope that works for you.
Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius
Experience: B.S. Biology from Texas A&M University and Long-time Mac User