Claws224, IEEE Datacommunication Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft

G3 iBook, running 10.4.6 get the beep, followed by the ...

G3 iBook, running 10.4.6—get the beep, followed by the startup chime—then nothing. Tried resetting the PMU (ctrl-opt-shft + power button for six seconds), then power—same result. No safe boot, can''t zap PRAM, either. Any clue? Should I say Kaddish?

After the startup chime do you get any icons or other noises?

Do you have your OSX disks?

If you boot the machine and immediately press an hold the Option key does anything happen?

Let us know.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No—still nothing, and it doesn't start with the system disk, either

So you have tried booting with the C key held down and the disk in?

Is that correct?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Claws224's Post: Yes, that's correct. On one boot, after letting the computer sit for a few hours, I got the grey apple screen, but the "progress clock" (for lack of a better description) froze at about 9 o'clock, and progressed no further—I'm now trying to boot off a LaCie Porsche portable Firewire drive, but have yet to see a blue screen. I don't think anything will work.

When you tried resetting the PRAM with CMD+OPT+P+R what happened?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Claws224's Post: Same thing. Nothing.

This may sound stupid,However could you pull the hard drive from the machine then try to boot from the CD so we can see if it may be a drive failing or if it is the logic board.

This guide should show you the correct procedure

Let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Claws224's Post: OK, and I'll accept this answer because you've given me so many options and should be paid, but didn't plugging in the LaCie drive and holding the option key accomplish the same thing? Wouldn't that, or holding "C" with the OS disk inserted bypass the internal drive? What fault would cause neither of these options to work?