Ask Geek Squad Agent Patrick Your Own Que...

Geek Squad Agent Patrick
Geek Squad Agent Patrick, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  4 Years of Apple Experience, Apple Certified Macintosh Technician
8959478

Screen with mac logo is on with spinner turning but ...

Customer Question

Screen with mac logo is on with loading spinner turning but home page won''t load. I have a powerbook G4, os10.4.7. Was updating airport card but didn''t complete the download, turned off computer, problem occured when I tried to restart.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Geek Squad Agent Patrick replied 8 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer. This is Geek Squad Agent Patrick.

The problem that you are facing is not necessarily bad. Whenever you are at the Apple logo at startup and seeing a spinning gear, the system is searching the hard drive for the operating system. If the gears are there for longer than say, 45 seconds, the hard drive is running through a directory check, either due to a problem earlier or due to system maintenance. You'll need to let it run like that for at least an hour before this can be considered a problem, afterwhich, you'll need to have either an Apple store's Mac Genius or another Apple Certified Macintosh Technician take a look at it. You may indeed have a bad hard drive if the spinning gear never goes away, though a technician would be able to tell you this more readily than you may think.

I hope this helps. Have a good day.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I've let it run for at least an hour and nothing happens. I ran my hardware test CD and it indicated no problem with the hard drive. Any other suggestions?