Claws224, IEEE Datacommunication Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

Cannot open entourage

This identity cannot be opened with this version of Entourage is message I get when trying to open my email.

I reinstalled OfficeMac 2004 after a small problem in Word and I now have two Excel, two Word, Two Entourage icons in my application bar at the base of the screen.

I get a message that there was an error opening the Microsoft Framework Library when I open Word, Excel and Powerpoint. However, Entourage does not open at all.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Claws224 replied 8 years ago.

Could you try to go to your finder and open documents then find the folder microsoft user data and drag out of there the Office 2004 Identities folder to the desktop.

Then try to lunch entourage and let me know what happens.

Also make sure you update your coy of office the the latest version http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/ph/2490?sid=485

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Claws224's Post: Thanks for your help

I am making progress

Entourage now is trying to open and I have the set up assistant box.

Also, I have the normal Entourage main window on screen but I can't access it while the set up assistant window is open.

On the main window, I can't see any of my old emails or contacts.

I desperately DO NOT WANT to lose my old inbox and sent and contact info.

Do I update my copy of Office after I have done the entourage set up or before?
Expert:  Claws224 replied 8 years ago.

Ok,

What has happened is that your entourage profile was updated over time so that your profile essentially is in a newer version.

So update your version of entourage to the latest version with all available service packs etc, Then either close entourage and copy your profile back (which may not work if it is damaged) or use the import tool to import all of your mail etc from the profile you placed on the desktop.

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks very much for your help.

By the way, my name is Alan!

I wil obviously be happy to pay for your services if I can resolve this but please bear with me as I am not an expert at these matters.

Do I go ahead with the set up assistant for entourage or do I close that window and try to open Entourage without a new set up?
Expert:  Claws224 replied 8 years ago.

No problem Alan,

I would prefer if you would take your time and make sure we get this resolved all the way for you before you accept.

Try to cancel the setup and close Entourage then using the Apple menu run your updates, Reboot and run it again till there is nothing left to get.

Once you have done that you can try to copy the file back, However like I said it may be better to setup a new profile and import your old mail etc back into the new profile.

Let me know if you have any problems.

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Eric

I have done as you suggested and rebooted and run the software update again as well.

The machine said there was nothing to update.

Entourage now opens without the set up assistant and does not have any of my old files or contacts or messages.

It also does not retrieve mail.

I don't know where to find my old info or which files to copy back.

Do I need to run the set up and if so, where do I find it?

Please take me step by step and treat me as an imbecile!!!!
Expert:  Claws224 replied 8 years ago.

Ok,

Could you follow this link http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.mspx then scroll to the bottom and select your product (Office 2004) you should see the 11.5.0 update in the center box and once selected ou should be able to download and install the update from the Right hand box.

Once it is installed and you have rebooted just reverse the original directions I gave you and restore the Identities folder that is on your desktop to the microsoft user data folder under the Documents folder.

Then try to open Entourage and see what happens.

Let me know

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Eric

I have set off on the update route but it is going to take a while because I am on dial-up speed for the next few days!

If I come back to this link to our correspondence through safari latare, will I get you back or somebody else?

Will it bring me back to the accept button so I can pay you?
Expert:  Claws224 replied 8 years ago.

Ok,

Whenever you get done just come back to JA and log in, It will bring you back to this thread so we can continue.

Just let me know if you need any more help.

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks

I will accept now to pay for your excellent help.

Please confirm that even if I pay and accept that I will be able to come back to you again.

Thanks

Alan
Expert:  Claws224 replied 8 years ago.

Alan,

If you accept you can come back at any time and continue in this thread, However I would prefer we successfully take care of this first.

Thanks