Claws224, IEEE Datacommunication Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft

Putting iMac to sleep with Leopard 10.5 results in mouse ...

Putting iMac to sleep with Leopard 10.5 results in mouse pointer freeze
Category: Mac
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

How many devices do you have plugged into the USB ports on your Mac?

Is this a mighty mouse or an aftermarket unit?

Let us know

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Claws224's Post: 1. Devices:
External hard drive for backup
Apple keyboard
Microsoft Wireless Mouse Receiver

2. Not a mighty mouse (although the same was happening when I using a mighty mouse) Currently using a Microsoft Wireless Mouse

Norm
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

This may sound strange, However could you unplug the external drive and try putting the machine to sleep and let me know what happens.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Claws224's Post: Hi, I will try that but in order to know for sure it that makes a difference, I will need to put the computer to sleep overnight, so I will let you know tomorrow. A favor, though, could you use my email address for future correspondence? I would appreciate that, it isXXX@XXXXXX.XXX.

Be sure to include any link I may need to click the Accept button if this works as I agree, you should get paid for your work.

Norm
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok Norm,

just let me know how you get on and if that mkes any difference or not.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hey ... it worked ... I can't find the Accept Button ... not on this page ...Thanks for sticking with this.

Norm
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Norm,

Glad to hear that it worked.

By the sounds of thing your external drive is locking up the USB hub on your imac as it may be drawing too much power.

You may wish to consider a powered USB hub that you can hook to your iMac and then plug your external drive into it and leave the mouse connected to the iMac directly.

Let me know if you need more help or info.

Regards

Experience: IEEE, Microsoft