Claws224, IEEE Datacommunication Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft

I have a used Blue G3 Power Mac and I want to go ...

I have a used Blue G3 Power Mac and I want to go online. How do I do that? On the back of the CPU is a telephone symbol indicating the modem port but it is covered up with a metal disk. The specs indicate there''s an internal modem V. 90) but I can''t connect it to the phone line. (I still have the old modem (56K)that went with my G3 Beige but I can''t use that either because the plug on the modem has 8 pins. Help T.C.

What model of G3 do you have?

What processor speed is it?

What type of internet connection do you wish to use, DSL, Cable, Dial up?

Let us know

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi. Thanks for contacting me. Here's the info you requested. If you need any more info, let me know.     Theresa.

Power Macintosh G3 Series
PowerPC 750 (82.1)
CPU Speed: 350 MHz
L2 Cache: 1MB
Memory: 320 MB
Bus Speed: 100 MHz
Boot ROM Version: f4

System Version: Mac OSX 10.3.2 (7D204)
Kernel Version: Darwin 7.2.0
Boot Volume: Hard Drive

As far as type of internet connection goes, I would prefer dial-up because I can afford it. DSL is okay but less affordable for me.

Thanks again.

When you talk about your modem having 8 pins what are you referring to ,Is that your old modem or the one in the Blue & White?

Do you have an existing internet connection for the machine you are using to talk to us on?

Let us know

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Hi again. The modem with the 8-pin plug is the external modem that I used when I had internet service (at home) years ago. It has 2 phone jacks, an adapter, and a built-in cord that connects to the CPU - or used to - until I bought a used G3 Blue processor to replace the G3 Beige processor I had. So now there is no place to plug in the cord of the external modem. The plug on the cord of the modem has a round metal piece with 8 pins inside in the shape of a Christmas tree.

I know how to open up the Blue processor. I don't know what an internal modem looks like but if you describe it, I could check it.

I don't have internet service at home - I'm using computers at school or a local internet place. Hope that helps.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Hi. I sent answers to your last set of questions on July 3rd and haven't heard anything back. Please let me know what is going on. Thanks.

This should give you an idea of what you are looking for

If you cannot find one in your machine then one of thee for $17.00 should do the trick.

Let m know if you need more help.