Aggie Mac Master
Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius
Experience:  B.S. Biology from Texas A&M University and Long-time Mac User
11127226

I have a serious problem with my Mac G-4 computer! Im ...

Customer Question

I have a serious problem with my Mac G-4 computer! I'm using Safari, Tiger OSX10.4.3. I have enough memory ; 1.2 gigs! Every time I use my computer the colored pin wheel pops up with in seconds especially when I'm on a website. My computer takes a long time to connect to the internet and I'm using dsl! The computer is running real slow now. What do I do to fix the problem? Note: I've asked this question before and no one has responded.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

Could you open your finder and let us know how much spare hard drive space you have on the main disk.

If you have issues just click Finder in the Dock, Click Computer in the Finder window, Select the disk you want to examine and Choose the Show Info command from the File menu.

Also is this a desktop or notebook?

Let us know

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
First of all I am using a desk top
I clicked on Finder in the Upper Menu and I couldn't even find anything that said Computer. I went to my dock and clicked it open and the same thing.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

In your Finder select your startup disk's icon. which should be Macintosh HD.

Press the Command+I keys.

The Get Info window for your startup disk should open and in the General pane, the Capacity, Available (free space), and space Used on your startup disk will be displayed.

Let me know what it shows.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I must really have a very old computer. I went into finder and I didn't find the start up disk's icon.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

When you open the finder do you see anything that says Macintosh HD?

If so then that is your startyp disk, just give it a single click and then press the Command and the I key together which should open the Info window so you cn follow the instructions I posted.

Let me know

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Claws224's Post: No! Applications Folder,System Folder, User Folder Library Folder and Flash Player
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok

Do you see a screen like this when you open your finder?

graphic

Let me know

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Claws
I would be glad to accept your answer if helped solve my problem.
I thought I replied that I don't see the screen when I opened the finder?
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

What icons do you have on your desktop?

Do you see one named Macintosh HD?

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Claws224's Post: I see my main HD which is named SGL! When I open it, however, I don't see the information requested by you.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

I am going to opt out and see if another Mac expert can help you as If you cannot search or browse to your drives I cannot help.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Claws224's Post: Claws, I'm sorry to have waisted your time!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Claws, I think I found what you were looking for,thanks to my son
I hope this is the information that you needed: capacity 19.08 Gigs
Available: 12.72 gigs
Used: 6.37 gigs
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I hope this is the information you wanted so, we can get this problem solved and I can pay you.
Expert:  Aggie Mac Master replied 6 years ago.
Alright, I think I see your problem. You need to update your system to the latest version of Tiger. Click on the Apple menu and click on Software Update. Install every update available for you, it may take a few restarts.

Keep doing the Software Update until it tells you, "Your software is up to date."

This should fix the problems with your computer, but if it doesn't respond, and I will try something else.

If this is the answer to your question, please kindly select * ACCEPT * so I can be rewarded for my efforts.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I clicked on the software update and there is no updates available. My computer automatically tells me when there is a software update. I think I updated last week. Something else must be causing the problem.
The current version of Tiger is 10.4.11. If you have 10.4.3, it very well could be the problem.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosx10411updateppc.html

Let me know if you do indeed have 10.4.3
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My mistake. I do indeed have OSX10.4.11
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Are you going to help   me with the problem I'm having with my computer or not? This really getting to be very frustrating!
Are you open to formatting the computer and reinstalling the system software if I walk you through it?

If you are, make sure you backup all important data, as formatting will erase everything.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have to be honest with you, I have never backed up any information on my computer. Don't I have to have a burner to do so? And what which type of cd do I use? cdr cdrw? Of course if that will eliminate my problem.
Of course there are no guarantees, but usually a fresh start is the best way to fix problems that have accrued over the years. If you go to the Apple menu>About This Mac, click More Info...

Under Hardware, click Disc Burning.

There, it will tell you what kind of media you can write to. For backup purposes, CD-R is the best. It cannot be overwritten, and it is much cheaper than a CD-RW.

I am really sorry how frustrating this is for you, but for some complex problems, it is hard to diagnose via messages such as these. I recommend backing up and reformatting your computer, because it will give you a fresh start with a pristine operating system.

Let me know how I can help you go forward with this problem.

I am here to help you anyway I can.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't have the ability to burn a disc. Now what do I do?
How much critical data do you have that you need to back up?

There are some free online services that allow you to back up online.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I really don't know what I need to back up!
I'm going to opt out of this question, I don't want to be responsible for you losing data you need.