RoeIncarnate
RoeIncarnate, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  I have used Macs all my life (20+ years) and currently develop OS X applications.
2990473

Re IMac G3 running OS10.3.9 Have lost the master password XXXXX

Re:IMac G3 running OS10.3.9 Have lost the master password XXXXX cannot install software updates or printers etc
If you have an install CD/DVD for it:
Password XXXXX:

-Start up from a Mac OS X Install CD (put in the CD/DVD and hold C while it restarts).
-Choose Reset Password XXXXX the Installer/Utilities menu.
-Select your Mac OS X hard disk volume.
-Set the user name of your original administrator account. (not the "System Administrator (root)" user)

More Info:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106156

If this is the answer to your question, please kindly select * ACCEPT * so I can be rewarded for my efforts.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
This sounds like what want to do but I am worried about losing all my data, software etc just bases on my reading of the Apple support stuff.Is this a valid concern or not?
No, your data should be fine, you are not reinstalling, just changing the password XXXXX the account.

However, if you are using filevault/encrypted home folder then you need to look at this:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/en/mh1909.html