Ask Geek Squad Agent Patrick Your Own Que...

Geek Squad Agent Patrick
Geek Squad Agent Patrick, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  4 Years of Apple Experience, Apple Certified Macintosh Technician
8959478

Hi...I have an old iMac G4. i need to upgrade it from 2.8 ...

Hi...I have an old iMac G4. i need to upgrade it from 2.8 to 3.0..How can i do this ...it seems impossible...no upgrade out there that i can find. It needs to be 3.0 to upgrade it any further . I can''t upgrade to tiger or leopard from 2.8 it has to be 3.0. Thanks
Hello, this is Geek Squad Agent Patrick.

I'm going to need a little more information from you if I am to help you figure this out. When you say, "i need to upgrade it from 2.8 to 3.0", do you mean the operating system? If you are, the operating system version would read something like Mac OS X 10.2.8 or something similar to that.

If you aren't speaking of the operating system, can you please be more specific of what you are speaking of?

Thanks.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes i am speaking about the operating system :)
It is 10.2.8 and i need to get it to 10.3 in order to run anything new really but cannot find an upgrade anywhere.thanks
Hello, this is Geek Squad Agent Patrick again.

You can find Mac OS X 10.3 Jaguar disks online, but they are priced at a premium since Apple hasn't made them for 2005 or so. Here is a link to a search for the disks on Amazon.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for the link...very helpful as i was not sure which animal it was...lol
There is no way that I can upgrade straight to tiger or leopard from 10.2.8 is there? I think I possibly have to be at 10.3 to do that..
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I don't think my processor is fast enough for leopard ...only 800mhz but do you think I can install 10.4 tiger straight from 10.2.8 and that will be all this computer can take.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
If you could very kindly just answer my last little query I will click the accept button...
Just want to know if I can upgrade straight to 10.4 from 10.2.8. Thanks...
Good Morning, This is Geek Squad Agent Patrick.

Sorry I didn't respond to you sooner. I had left for the day. But to answer your questions:

Yes, you can perform an upgrade install from 10.2 to 10.4, but it is not advisable. The better option is to perform an Archive and Install. An upgrade install just updates your Operating System files to 10.4. An Archive and Install completely moves your Operating System and Starts fresh with new files. It also doesn't erase your personal files, so it's a great option if for that alone.

To answer your other question, no. Your processor is not fast enough for Leopard. The specifications you'd need to run Leopard are at least a PowerPC G4 with an 867 MHz processor. You'd be just shy of the processor requirement and it wouldn't install.

I hope that answers all of your questions.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Patrick...:) Just need to know what is an archive install and how do I do that. If I buy 10.4 old version can I do this kind of install from it.
I don't want to erase all my personal files even though I have backed them up on a flash drive.
Thanks..
Geek Squad Agent Patrick here.

Alrighty, so once you have a 10.4 Tiger Disk in hand you'll need to do this procedure.

1. Boot into Mac OS X Jaguar. Insert the Tiger disk and in the window that pops up click restart from disk.
  2. Give the system a few minutes and after the system has rebooted there should be a window that says welcome to the Mac OS X installer.
  3. Click the continue button and select a destination hard drive to install Mac OS X on.
  4. On the next screen, click on Archive and Install. And click OK.
  5. That's it! GO get a cup of coffee or something. The install process usually takes anywhere from 20 mins to an hour. Once the process is complete, your Mac will reboot into Mac OS X Tiger.
I hope that helps. And if I missed something or wasn't specific enough, here's a link to Apple's TIger Install Setup Guide on Apple.com.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
OMG soooo easy....lol
Thank-you so much Patrick. I'll just go off and look for a tiger on ebay and at last this 'puter will be out of it's dinosaur age.
So sad cos it was the bees knees when I bought it 5 years ago...lol I can't keep up time goes so fast.
Thanks for all your help...you are a true Mac Geek and should be proud :)
Gina

ps Thanks for the link as well..