Ask Geek Squad Agent Patrick Your Own Que...

Geek Squad Agent Patrick
Geek Squad Agent Patrick, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  4 Years of Apple Experience, Apple Certified Macintosh Technician
8959478

After a power outage in my building my PowerMAC G4 does not ...

After a power outage in my building my PowerMAC G4 does not start up anymore. There is just no reaction when I push the start button. Could there be a fuse that burnt through?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Geek Squad Agent Patrick replied 6 years ago.
Hello, This is Geek Squad Agent Patrick.

If your PowerMac isn't showing any signs of powering on when you hit the power button, there will be two culprits, and you won't like either of them.

1. The first scenario is the power outage also caused a surge and the surge of electricity damaged your power supply. Without a functioning power supply, your PowerMac has no way to power on. A repair like that done through Apple or a 3rd Party Computer Repair shop will run you around $250.
  2. The second scenario is actually worse if you can imagine that. Your main logic board might have been damaged by this same power outage. If that's the case, the only way to fix that is to replace the logic board. Done through Apple or another Repair Shop a logic board replacement will run you anywhere from $550-800. In this case, it might be better to just replace the system.
There is no way to tell this for sure unless you take the computer into a shop. They're there to help and shouldn't charge you for basic troubleshooting. Just try and go somewhere that has Apple Certified Technicians available so they'll actually know what they are doing and what they are talking about.

Find a service provider here.

I hope that helps.
Experience: 4 Years of Apple Experience, Apple Certified Macintosh Technician