Ask Geek Squad Agent Patrick Your Own Que...

Geek Squad Agent Patrick
Geek Squad Agent Patrick, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  4 Years of Apple Experience, Apple Certified Macintosh Technician

Defective monitor

23" color monitor has vertical blue and green stripes. have restarted, no help. Am running a Power Mac G4
Hello, This is Geek Squad Agent Patrick.

The problem that you are experiencing with your PowerMac G4 is going to be related either to the screen or your video card. 9 times out of 10, it'll be the video card. This is how you'll need to check this:

Connect your PowerMac to another monitor. If the problem is still there, it's going to be a problem with your video card most likely or some other hardware issue. If you don't have another monitor to do this with, take your PowerMac to a computer repair shop. Explain the problem to them ask that they check the system's video. If there is an Apple store near you, that may be your best option. They'll know your hardware the best and be able to find a solution for you.

I will say that there is one thing that most people will overlook when something like this arises. Before you throw the kids and your Mac into the car, just check and see if the cables running from your Mac to the monitor are secure. If they aren't, they can also cause things like what you are seeing.

I hope this all helps!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have a Macbook. Can I connect the power mac to the lap top to check the monitor? If so, how? BTW, the Power Mac is a G5 with dual processors. The original monitor has what I think is a ADC connector.
Hello Again, Geek Squad Agent Patrick here.

Unfortunately, there is no way to "share" your MacBook's monitor with ANY computer. You'd need to connect your PowerMac to an external monitor. Something that's interesting though, now that you've mentioned it, you could also have a faulty ADC adapter.

But, again, I'm going to have to recommend you take your computer in for work. Unless you have a neighbor or friend who has a monitor you could borrow, that would be the easiest way to handle that.

I hope that helps.