RoeIncarnate
RoeIncarnate, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  I have used Macs all my life (20+ years) and currently develop OS X applications.

Every time I open word, excel, entourage, powerpoint, it ...

Customer Question

Every time I open word, excel, entourage, powerpoint, it comes up with a an error message that says "The application "Whatever i am opening, i.e. excel" quit unexpectedly" you can click reopen or report, I have done both, when you click reopen it comes with another error report that says "The application "i.e. excel" quit unexpectedly after it was reopened. Mac os x and other applications are not affected. then says click try again to temporarily restore applications default settings and open it again. or click report to see more details or send a report to apple. I have tried both, after clicking try again it opens, up, and i can use it like normal, when i close it says "Excel - New settings. New settings have been created for this application. do you wish to use these settings from now on? then gives to options "use new settings" "Use original settings" I have tried both options, and when i try to reopen, i have to go through the same loop holes. Please help me!!!
Category: Mac
Expert:  RoeIncarnate replied 6 years ago.
Two things to try:

First thing to try is "Repair Permissions".

Open "Disk Utility" (/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility).

Click on your hard drive on the left and then click the "Repair Disk Permissions" button.

If that doesn't help try:

If that doesn't work, then I'd suggest you either try reinstalling office or try downloading the latest updates for office and applying them.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.mspx

If this is the answer to your question, please kindly select * ACCEPT * so I can be rewarded for my efforts.
RoeIncarnate, Mac Software Engineer
Experience: I have used Macs all my life (20+ years) and currently develop OS X applications.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to RoeIncarnate's Post: I tried repair permissions, and it didn't work, with reinstalling office, do I have to take off office first, and will i lose my informations ie emails.
What version of Office do you have?
What version of OS X?
If you use another user login on your computer, does Office work?

No you shouldn't have to uninstall Office.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Student and teacher addition 2004

os x 10.4.11

and no other login for this computer.

So all i do is put the office cd in and follow the instructions, because i already did that a couple of days ago, and it duplicated all of the programs, like two words, and two excells.

thanks for all your help, you have been very helpful.
You should try downloading and applying the updates from Microsoft.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I tried to do the update office 2004 update 11.4.2 and it said "The installer could not locate the correct version of the software required to install this update" I have my office cd and case right here.
whats going on???
With the office update you have to apply each one in order, did you do that? (took me a while to figure that out).

To get the current version of Office on your computer, select one of the office applications in the Finder. Then select the menu "File->Get Info"

Then look for the "Version" label.

Now locate the updater for that version of Office 2004 on the Microsoft site. http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.mspx

You now have to do each update in order.

Sorry, to get your current version:

Select the Microsoft Component Plugin file in the Microsoft Office 2004/Office folder on your hard disk, and then on the File menu, click Get Info.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did all of the updates, and still no luck, it is still doing the same thing i had version 3.5 so i had a lot of updates, is their a way for the computer to do that automatically.

Thanks
There is the MS Autoupdate stuff, you can download it on that same download page.

Next I would try creating another account on your system and login to it and try Office from that account.

You can create another account using the "System Preferences" Accounts pref. pane.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I created a new account and it worked in that new acount, but not in my original account
Humm... had this happen once to me.

I don't remember exactly how I fixed it but try this:

In the Finder, open your Home folder and then open Library/Perferences

Delete all the files that start with com.microsoft.
Delete the Microsoft folder.

Restart the computer.

Try it now.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It WORKED YEA.

Thank you so much!!!
Great glad to hear it. Sorry it took so long to find.

Thank you for the accept.