Flagbridge-MAC
Flagbridge-MAC, Consultant
Experience:  Paid for 10 years of University with Network Engineering with extensive MAC usage (back to system 7)
2368596

We just had leopard installed on our IMac. We created ...

Customer Question

We just had leopard installed on our IMac. We created a file in In-Design and need to print 500 on one of our large printers. The file consists of 2 pages and prints on both sides of one sheet of paper. When we send it to print it takes forever because it is processing the pages over and over 500 times and sending 500 files to the printer. How do we fix this?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Claws224 replied 8 years ago.

What type of printer is it that you wish to print to?

Do you have images in the document and if so how many and how big are the image files?

Let us know

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Claws224's Post: We are printing to a Lanier 2090. There are no images, just plain text. We have the same problem printing to a Canon CLC 1120.

Ordinarily we send the file and we see on our computer screen that it is processing it only ONCE. At the printer it reproduces the file 500 times, freeing up our computer for more work.

The problem now is it takes forever on the computer screen because it is processing the file for printing 500 times IN THE COMPUTER BEFORE PRINTING.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 8 years ago.

Ok,

You have found the main cause of the issue which is that Adobe have a known issue where their applications send multiple copies of the document rather than parsing a single copy to the printer.

However this usually just happens on Intel Macs, So is your mac an intel base?

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Claws224's Post: Yes, it is an intel based Mac.

But this doesn't answer the question.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 8 years ago.

Ok,

I am sorry to say but even Adobe do not have a fix for this issue, I will opt out and see if another expert might have a suggestion.

Thanks

Expert:  Flagbridge-MAC replied 8 years ago.
My colleague is correct.

On certain Adobe Print functions when you are sending multiple page print requests, rather then send a single file and have the printer replicate, it sends individual files.

One of the things you can do is try to export to a different file format, and then print it through a different program.

For example you can export an ID file to an XML and print it through Office 2007. You can also export as a PDF and try to print through Acrobat, which print engine is not as flaky as ID.

Let me know if you need more help.

Regards
Flagbridge-MAC, Consultant
Experience: Paid for 10 years of University with Network Engineering with extensive MAC usage (back to system 7)