judybailey61
judybailey61, Bachelor's Degree
Experience:  Writing expert on justanswer.com for five years. College degree in mathematics. Long papers are my strong points!
46206387

Essay Lesson 8: Essay: Argument Objectives ■ Use the writing

Customer Question

Essay Lesson 8: Essay: Argument Objectives ■ Use the writing process to write an argumentative essay ■ Write an effective thesis statement ■ Develop paragraphs using topic sentences, adequate detail, supporting evidence, and transitions ■ Develop critical reading skills ■ Use responsible research methods to locate appropriate secondary sources ■ Use Modern Language Association (MLS) citation and documentation style to reference secondary source material correctly and appropriately ■ Quote, paraphrase, and summarize secondary source material correctly and appropriately ■ Use the conventions of standard written American English to produce a correct, well-written essay. Introduction The widespread accessibility of modern technology has given us many new possibilities. We’re now able to obtain information more quickly and easily than ever before. We can keep in touch family and friends online and make friends with people we may never meet. We’re able to program destinations into navigation systems and follow spoken directions without ever consulting a map. However, many believe that this constant access to different kinds of technology makes us more distracted, less able to communicate meaningfully with each other, and generally less capable. Topic: To write a 2,200–2,500 word argument essay in which you identify one facet of modern technology that’s debatable or controversial because people may or may not rely on it too much Purpose: To persuade your audience that this particular facet of modern technology either should or shouldn’t be limited due to people’s reliance on it Methods: To use at least six secondary sources to support your argument including 1. A minimum of three articles from Expanded Academic ASAP 2. A minimum of three secondary sources that you have evaluated according to the guidelines in your textbook (569–573). Audience: Junior and senior-level distance education students enrolled at Penn Foster College The Writing Process Prewriting 1. Since you’re working with a very broad subject, technology, you need to narrow it down to a manageable level. a. Review Chapter 5, “Prewriting,” in your textbook, specifically Choosing and Narrowing a topic (98– 107). b. Reread Chapter 21 in your textbook, “Writing Arguments,” to help you choose a sufficiently narrow topic for your argument essay (526–529) i. Your argument should make a claim. ii.Your argument may also call for action. 2. Use one of the techniques from Chapter 5 (freewriting, brainstorming, clustering, and so on) to develop your ideas for a topic. a. Remember, technology is too broad to write about in a short essay, so you need to focus on a specific facet of technology. 3. When you have a list of possible topics for your essay, choose one or two to explore in detail with more freewriting or brainstorming (107–117). a. Write as much as possible based on what you know, think, believe to be the case, or have heard about your topic. b. What do you think should be done to address the issues you’ve raised? 4. Draft a “tentative claim” (545) that represents your point of view on the topic. Because an argument essay also acknowledges the opposing point of view (533–34), draft a claim that represents the alternative point of view and brainstorm reasons and evidence you know, think, believe to be the case, or have heard about this side of the issue. Research 1. Your research is integral to your argument essay; however, it plays only a supporting role. At this point, only after you have gathered content in the prewriting process, should you begin the research process, because a. Your use of secondary sources should be limited. b. Secondary sources provide evidence to support your claims. c. You shouldn’t allow secondary sources to take over your argument. 2. Use your prewriting to guide your research. Look for evidence that will help to confirm what you know, clarify your point of view, or correct your mistaken beliefs. 3. Go to the library. Your Penn Foster digital library provides resources that will help you to meet the research requirements for your essay, but keep in mind that research in a library, even a digital one, is not like searching online. To learn more, visit the Penn Foster Library site. 4. Keep careful notes on your sources and a working bibliography in order to avoid plagiarism. Organizing 1. Use the graphic organizer on page 540 to organize your argument before you begin drafting. a. Identify each reason clearly and provide related supporting evidence so that you can see your argument in outline form. b. The outline will help you to identify the parts of your argument that don’t fit your thesis statement, where you need more evidence, and where you can reorganize points to make the overall essay more persuasive. Drafting 1. When you’ve completed your graphic organizer or outline, follow your plan to draft your essay. a. Use topic sentences to state your reasons, develop the body of each paragraph logically using the evidence you fou
Category: Long Paper (3+ pages)
Expert:  Kelyn1 replied 3 months ago.

Hello, Bethany here. WOW. I've not seen this one in the series before. Just from reading the instructions, there seems to be a TREMENDOUS amount of research and work required. It looks like it requires an outline and an essay, am I reading that correctly? Is the outline something we will have to work on for you to turn in or is it just for your (our) own use in building the essay? Let me know if both are required and I'll be better able to quote a value on it for you. Also, let me know your due date, please. I look forward to your response!

Bethany

Related Long Paper (3+ pages) Questions