Kelyn1
Kelyn1, Reading Specialist
Experience:  20+ years in Regular and Special Education, Reading Specialist Master's, Published author
20214394

I am a college student taking English 102 Composition and

Customer Question

I am a college student taking English 102 Composition and Literature class. Our first essay is to Analysis of Fiction. We can choose from any of these stories if you know about any of these stories: "A&P", "A Rose for Emily" by William Faulkner, "The Tell-Tale Heart" by Poe, "How to Talk to Girls at Parties" by Neil Gaiman, "Cathedral" by Raymond Carver, "The Storm" by Kate Chopin, "To Build a Fire" by Jack London, "A Clean, Well-Lighted Place" by Hemingway, "The Gift of the Magi" by O. Henry, "Everyday Use" by ***** *****, "The Chrysanthemums" by Steinbeck, and "Bullet in the Brain" by Tobias Wolff.
Our assignment for this essay is to use one of these short stories and ask what the story say about _____(a single subject) such as things like Identity(cultural, national, gender), meaning of life, the world, pop culture, memory, war, peace, childhood, adolescence, aging, materialism, justice, fairness, religion or faith, love, crime, success, failing, relationships(dating, marriage, affairs, sexuality in general), community, power, isolation, fear, these are just some example for topics for subject and then ask Why does it say it("Why" considers why the story" treatment of this topic is important to way readers understand themselves, others, or their world).
An example would be: WHAT does Edgar Allen Poe's story, "The Tell-Tale Heart" say about MADNESS, and WHY does it say it?
An example thesis for this would be: Through symbol, "The Tell-Tale Heart" by Edgar Allen Poe conveys madness as an irrational fixation that often leads to murder.(the term symbol is a literary device, has the title and author, conveys is a verb, madness is the subject, the statement: as an irrational fixation is What, and:that often leads to murder is Why and What matters)
Can you give me any suggestions from any of the stories to write about for my first essay, and we also have to use one literary device(point of view, character, setting, tone, style, symbol) and use one critical choice from the library database to place argument in context with the other critical interpretions or to provide historical or social background on my story.
Category: Long Paper (3+ pages)
Expert:  Kelyn1 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** think I can help with this. Here are some possible thesis statements about some of these stories.

The Tell-Tale Heart: Edgar Allen Poe's story, "The Tell-Tale Heart," speaks of guilt as a burden on the human heart that must be confessed lest it consume one's conscience.

Literary Device: Symbolism

"A Rose for Emily" - William Faulkner's story "A Rose for Emily," portrays community as protector of both itself and the individual.

Literary Device(s): Symbolism, Setting

"The Gift of the Magi" by O. Henry - Henry's story "The Gift of the Magi," presents emotional wealth and poverty as not being mutually exclusive.

Literary Device(s): Character, Tone

I hope this helps. As for critical choices, I don't have access to your library database to look at the one's available to you. Can you provide a link perhaps?

Bethany

Expert:  Kelyn1 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, it has been several days and I noticed on the board that you had not accepted yet. I am concerned; was my answer satisfactory? Do you need more help? I am here to help you in anyway possible. Just let me know. If you were happy with my answer, please remember to click "accept" and leave a positive rating. It is the only way I get paid for my work.

Thanks so much,

Bethany

Related Long Paper (3+ pages) Questions