judybailey61
judybailey61, Bachelor's Degree
Experience:  Writing expert on justanswer.com for five years. College degree in mathematics. Long papers are my strong points!
46206387

Review questions 6-12 from your "Office Comparison

Customer Question

Review questions 6-12 from your "Office Comparison Interviews" assignment and from at least one of your classmates. Write a 750- to 1,050- word paper discussing the following: What conclusions can you draw about similarities and differences in circulation, tracking and security measures for records handling and storage within small, medium, and large facilities? Discuss reasons for these differences. Consider how these differences affect other aspects of records management, and postulate consequences of staff not following those procedures properly. Format your assignment consistent with APA guidelines, this should include a reference page.

Here are my "Office Comparison Interviews" From My Assignment to refer to....

Office Comparison Interviews

One of the reasons that procedures vary for handling patient records is the volume of patients seen on any given day. By comparing and contrasting record management systems in different sized facilities, you will have information to contribute to several activities in this course.

By Week Four you should have completed three interviews, which you may conduct in person or by phone. You need to use the list of questions in the table on the next page to gather information about each of the following:

• A small medical facility—an office for one or two doctors

• A medium-sized facility—a clinic where several doctors work in partnership

• A large facility—a hospital or medical center

People will be more likely to cooperate if you disclose that the information you want is related to schoolwork, you will not take up much of their time, and none of the information is confidential.

Consider introducing yourself with something like the following:

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I need some general information about filing systems for a school assignment. Would it be possible to speak to the person in charge of filing patient records for a few quick questions, or may I call back at another time?

If the facility needs proof that you are a student, you must provide your instructor with a name and e-mail address to send a permission notice, and then allow three days for your instructor to send the notice. It is your responsibility to follow up with the prospective facility after your instructor has been notified. When you call back, be sure to ask to speak with the appropriate person, because you cannot expect that the person who answers the phone will know about your request.

Once you have permission to proceed, verify that you are talking to a person who is knowledgeable about maintaining patient records there, and ask the questions in the table on the next page.

INTERVIEW QUESTION

Small Facility

Medium-sized Facility

Large Facility

1. Approximately how many patient records does your department or facility handle in a typical day?

They do about 80 patients records per day.

In this particular place they do about 70 to about 100 patients records per day.

This type of facility they do about 1,000 plus patients records per day.

2. Are records in your facility paper, electronic, or both? If paper, are they centralized or decentralized?

They actually do the paper records and they also are decentralized.

In this type of facility they do both electronic centralized and paper.

At this large facility they handle both electronic centralized and paper.

3. Does your facility use an alphabetic system or a numeric system?

If numeric, is it:

• Straight numeric order?

• Middle-digit order?

• Terminal-digit order?

• Other?

When asked they replied Alphabetic system.

At this type of facility they actually use the numeric system and also is terminal digit order.

Both.

4. How are reports organized within a patient’s file?

1.  

When this was asked they replied saying it is different by each physician.

Different types of places/ and they call units.

User views and tabs are how these reports are formatted.

1. 5a. If paper records: What determines if new information is allowed to remain loose or must be permanently anchored in the record?

Each and every chart will be permanently anchored (locked) in the record “unit” for about two years, after this they will be stored in a different area.

Each newer records and information is actually put into electronic records.

She did not have a answer.

Her reply was it was not pertaining to them.

1. 5b. If electronic records: Where is new information kept until someone has time to enter the information into the electronic record?

2.  

Each and every bit of new information is kept In as they called file space until some body put it in the computer.

The discharge health get put in the “electronic record”

6. If paper records: How many different locations are there in your department that patient files may be found? (For example, are there some temporary holding areas in addition to a permanent area?)

The entire building, which has patient files through out.

These are patient files, which you can find in 2 different places in that department.

She did not have a answer.

1. 7. If paper records: Is there a need to chart the circulation of files from one location to another, so that your staff knows where files are kept?

No need for charting circulation filing that of one place to another.

Need charting circulation filing from one place to the other, this way staff can find the charts when it is needed.

She did not have a answer.

1. What can cause the biggest problem for records management if it isn’t done right?

2.  

There is a big problem for records if the charts become missing or for that matter misplaced.

This was volition of the HPI rights along with the patient confidentiality.

These particular problems would cause a huge impact in the patient care, and the rep of the billing and facility.

1. What measures in terms of physical storage are taken to ensure the privacy of the medical record?

2.  

Locked doors, security systems, and alarms.

The entire area is locked and very secure. Also a chart audit.

There are tons of policies that fall into place in order to keep each patients privacy of medical records.

10. What measures in terms of personal handling are taken to ensure the privacy of the medical record?

HPI

A audit that shows, when, what date, where, who actually looked at it and also screen is shaded so it is private.

She did not have a answer.

1. Do you have a policy or mechanism to reproduce a lost record?

2.  

This reply was the lady did not know because it has not occurred to her yet.

Absolutely, mechanisms in order to reproduce the lost chart, but this lady did not tell how.

12. How do you handle records for patients who no longer visit your facility?

Past three years, and a patient has not had a visit the files go to a certain place different then where they are at now.

When patients do not visit no longer, the files go to storage off the site.

This facility actually kept them for 25 years and then they toss them.

13. What changes in procedures do you think would make record management easier or smoother for you? What are your greatest challenges?

Medical record said that they felt no need to change only because they know each and everything well at the facility.

Every paper files work easier if they were electric filing.

This is a full integrated system, and it would make things better.

If you do not understand these questions, be sure to ask your instructor for clarification before you begin your interviews. Not every office handles records similarly, and these general questions are designed to get medical employees talking about their procedures. It is possible for the answers you receive to vary substantially.

Take notes during your interviews, because you will need this information in upcoming activities. You must complete this Appendix for the assignment in Week Four.

Category: Long Paper (3+ pages)
Expert:  Mr. Gregory White replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** this might be time sensitive.Do you still need this answered?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes... Thank You... I also have a few more so, you may be getting some more work after this one from me...

I do not have the time to complete a new one on this right now but I do have a model one previously submitted that you could use as a guide as you prepare your final response. If that will be sufficient, let me know and I will send it right away - If not, I will opt out and open up for the others to see if someone can complete this in your time frame with a completely new model.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay... I will resend it to the lady who always does them for me. you can close it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to bug you but can you close out this so I can get a answer...?

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.

I am Josie, a moderator for this topic.

I have sent your requested Expert, Lani, a message to follow up with you here, when she is back online.

There is no need to relist or repost your question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank You.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Expert:  lani_s replied 1 year ago.

Its says to compare your interview findings with your classmate's.

Do you have a copy of the interview report from any of your classmates?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This is one if you need a few more let me know.

INTERVIEW QUESTION

Small Facility

Medium-sized Facility

Large Facility

About 30 patients records a day

About 15 per day

About 90 patient records per day

About 4 on average

About 700 patients records per day

About 115 on average

They use electronic format

They use electronic format

They use electronic format

They use electronic. Decentralized

They use electronic format

They use both. Open files are decentralized and closed files are centralized

If numeric, is it:

• Straight numeric order?

• Middle-digit order?

• Terminal-digit order?

• Other?

Patient number stays the same for all visits.

They are alphabetic order.

New record number for patients is assigned each visit.

Different records for the same person are filed as separate numbers

They use a Straight numeric order with 7 to 8 digit number

New record number is ***** each visit but previous records are reassigned to the most recent number

Charts are a numeric order. They use a 7 to 8 digit number and the first 2 letters of the last name

Most recent information is front file

Most recent information is in front

By type and date, they separate it by type…charts, labs, reports. Organized by date

Most recent information is in front

By type and date they separate it by charts, labs, reports, etc.

Organize it by date

Everything is added to the patients file

N/A

N/A

Information is kept in certain area until entered

The information is on the computer

Records are stored in special locations until entered.

The information is kept in the computer system

Information is entered immediately

The information is on the computer until they are discharged then it is printed and added to a paper file that is centralized

One

Patients charts are kept in file cabinet

N/A

N/A

The type of file that they need is in the patients name in the file cabinet. The records are easily accessible

N/A

N/A

If they do have a paper record, it will be in the station they are at. If they are in ER and need a lab report the report will be in the lab

Loss of information

They are confused and not really sure what needs done on the next visit.

Unsuitable treatment

Loss of important information

Reimbursement issues for the insurance. If the paperwork is not handled effectively it will affect billing and create problems

Loss of important information

Reimbursement for the insurance. If the paperwork is not right it will affect billing and create major problems

Files are stored in filing cabinet in storage room until needed and new information is input into computer

This is a staff only room

Files are located in filing cabinets in storage room until needed and recent information is computerized

Files are stored in a locked room

Patient files are located in cabinets in storage room until needed and new information is computerized

They are in filing cabinets in the staff only area and is always in view of a staff member

Only medical staff has passwords to medical records

Each staff member has their own login information

Files are password *****

The staff has their own login information. They have limited access to the files and can only access what they need.

Files are protected by user name and passwords for medical staff’

The staff has their own login information. They have limited access, and it is only to the information requested. The paper files are not available for anyone other than staff.

They have paper copies of patient’s records.

They have information on a backup drive

They have information on a backup drive

They send these records to store them in a certain location at an offsite storage area.

They keep them in the office at a certain location for three years then they are moved to another storage area

Store records at a certain location after 5 to 7 years of inactive they are put on microfilm and kept for three years after death

Better training in the systems for new employees would help the office to run more efficiently. Be more organized.

Records management runs smoothly.

Not easy to learn electronic but make sure and use the manual to help with questions

Would not make any changes. System runs smoothly and consistent.

Expert:  lani_s replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for sending that in.

I will take a look and will let you know of I have any question.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

why does it say re-list by this question? you are still working on it right?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Have you started of finished my paper yet?

Expert:  lani_s replied 1 year ago.

I still have to finish the paper.

Do you still need this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes very much so! I have like three papers I need done before June 14th...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not need this one no longer, I will list another.
Expert:  lani_s replied 1 year ago.
Ok.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have listed my final I need done by next Wed which is June 10th.... Can you please look and help me out?
Expert:  lani_s replied 1 year ago.
I will take a look and will respond you there if I can help.
Thanks.

Related Long Paper (3+ pages) Questions