Lisa L. Kawecki
Lisa L. Kawecki, Certified Teacher
Experience:  BA in Eng. & Edu.; 15 yrs. Teaching Exp.
20507158

Assignment Type: Individual Project Deliverable Length: 2 -3

Assignment Type: Individual Project Deliverable Length: 2 -3 Pages
Due Date: 3/27/2012 11:59XXXXX

You have just been asked to teach the concept of adaptation to a psychology class. You decide to conduct the following experiments to teach the concept of adaptation.

Task 1: Conduct three of the following experiments. Record your reactions, and be specific for each experiment.

Experiment 1:

Rub your index fingers gently over a piece of very coarse sandpaper a few times and rate its coarseness on a scale from 1 (very soft) to 7 (very coarse).
After a minute or two, rub the same finger over the paper and again rate its coarseness. Did your perception of the coarseness change? How? Record your reaction.
Experiment 2:

Prepare one cup with sugar water and one with fresh water.
Take a sip of the sugar water and swish it around in your mouth for several seconds without swallowing it. Gradually, it should taste less sweet. (Dispose of the sugar water)
Taste from the cup containing fresh water. Did the taste of the fresh water surprise you? How? Record your reaction.
Experiment 3:

Take about 15 index cards and a flashlight that is opaque on all sides (so that light shines only through the front) into a very dark room.
Place all 15 cards over the beam of light.
Slowly remove the cards one at a time until you can barely detect the light, and then count the number of cards that remain over the light.
After a few minutes, the light should begin to look brighter. When this is the case, add cards and see if you can still see the light.
Repeat this process of gradually adding cards over a 15-minute period. Were you able to detect an increasingly dim light the longer you spent in the dark? Record your reaction.
How many cards did it take to not see the light after time?
Experiment 4:

Fill 3 medium-sized bowls as follows:
Bowl 1 - with very hot (but not painfully hot) tap water
Bowl 2 - with very cold tap water
Bowl 3 - with a mixture of the very hot and very cold water.
Arrange them, so your right hand is in front of the cold water, your left hand is in front of the hot water, and the lukewarm water is in the middle.
Submerse your hands into the water (right into cold, left into hot) for about 3 minutes
After 3 minutes, quickly transfer both hands to the lukewarm (middle) bowl. What did you sense? Record your reaction.
In all four experiments, you will experience adaption.

Task 2: Write a paper that describes adaption and how you experienced it in your experiments. The paper should cover the following.

Fully describe the process and results of the experiments that you chose.
What is sensory adaptation? Explain the concept of sensory adaptation. Refer to your text for the definition of sensory adaptation (this is not the general dictionary definition)
Explain how adaptation is evident in each of your experimental results.
Provide a comprehensive description of the sensory systems that are involved in the experiments that you performed. This description should include what happens from the receptors to the brain. Your discussion should illustrate what was experienced in each experiment.
Discuss how adaptation is important from an evolutionary perspective.
Be sure to document your references using APA format

pleas abstract is required.
Category: Long Paper (3+ pages)
Expert:  Lisa L. Kawecki replied 2 years ago.
I would be happy to do this for you, it depends on what length you require.
Please let me know the length requirement, as I am working on a long paper also due today.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi its 3 pages project.

APA format

abstract requried

thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

pleas reference is important

thank you

I don't know if there was a computer problem, but I did not get this until earlier today.
I will not be able to get this to you by midnight tonight. I could do this for you and have it posted for early tomorrow evening, but that will not help you.
I will opt out so that someone else may assist you today.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hi they give me one extra day if you can help will be fine thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

also i have 4 new questions but i cant send it until finesh this one .

thanks alot

o.k. I will have this posted for you early this evening, and then once it is posted and accepted you can go ahead and send me the new questions
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks alot you did perfect

just wanted you to know that I am in the process of writing and posting your essay,

You will have it shortly

Lisa

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you

Good evening,

Thank you for allowing me to assist you today. The following is the information that you requested:

Adaptation

As a way of teaching adaptation to a psychology class, I, along with my class conducted three experiments. This proved to be a successful method for the teaching of adaptation.

In order to describe the experiments, procedures, and results, it is important to have an understanding of what adaptation is and why it is important.

To begin with, adaptation is a process, rather than a physical part of the body. Adaptation is one of the two main processes that explains the diverse species we see in biology. All adaptations help an organism survive in their ecological niches.1 Adaptation in biology is a trait with a current functional role in the life history of an organism that is maintained and evolved by means of natural selection. It is also important to understand that adaptation refers to both the current state of being something adapted and to the dynamic evolutionary process that has led to adaptation. Adaptations contribute to the fitness and survival of individuals.

Sensory adaptation occurs when sensory receptors change their sensitivity to a stimulus. This phenomenon occurs in all senses. The only possible exception is the sense of pain. Human beings get used to things in life, such as smells, sounds, sights, situations, etc. One reason that we get used to things is because of sensory adaptation.2 Simply put, this means the reduced sensitivity to stimulation that results from repeated presentations of a stimulation. A simple example to illustrate this would be if a person needed to use a rental car for a few days. For the first few hours the rental car would seem to have unfamiliar smells, and not be a good fit. After this initial time had passed, the person would not notice any difference in smells of the rental car. This is because of sensory adaptation.

The first experiment consisted of rubbing the index finger gently over a piece of very coarse sandpaper. This was done for a few times to rte the coarseness on a scale of 1, being very soft, to 7, being very coarse. After a minute or two has passed, rub the fingers over the same paper and once again, rte its coarseness. The result of this experiment showed that the person's perception of the coarseness did change. The first time that the person conducting the experiment rub their fingers on the sandpaper, the perception rating was of a 7, very coarse. The second time that the person conducted the experiment in the same way, the result was a rating of 3, much softer than the first time. What was the reason for this? The person adapted to the feeling of the sandpaper. The fingers, and the sandpaper were the same. The person adapted to the feeling of coarseness, and after the second time, there was not the gap between soft and coarse as there was in the first experiment.

The second experiment that was conducted involved preparing one cup with sugar water and a second cup with fresh water. The person who conducted the experiment took a sip of the sugar water, swished it around in their mouth for several seconds and did not swallow. After a brief time, the person disposed of the sugar water. The result was that as time elapsed, the taste of the sugar water became less sweet. The reason for this wans that the senses in the mouth became used to, i.e. adapted, to the sweet taste. The last step of the experiment was to take a sip of the fresh water and then dispose of it. The taste of the fresh water was a surprise to the senses. The reason for this was that the senses adapted to the sweet tasting water. When the fresh water entered the mouth, the senses experienced a sudden, different change.

The third experiment involved using three medium sized bowls. The first bowl was filled with very hot water, not painfully hot, but tap water hot. The second bowl was filled with very cold tap water. The third bowl was filled with a mixture of very hot and very cold water. The bowls were then arranged so that the cold water was in front of the right hand, the hot water was in front of the cold water, and the lukewarm water was in between both bowls. The experiment involved submersing each hand in the bowl of water in front of the hand. The hands remained submersed in the water for about three minutes. Once three minutes had elapsed the hands were taken out of the bowls and quickly placed into the lukewarm water. The result of the experiment was that there was not a highly noticeable difference. The reason for this was that the hands were not as sensitive to the water because they adapted to the water that they were submersed in for three minutes. When the hands were placed in the bowl with the lukewarm water there was a less noticeable difference to the senses.

The sensory systems that were involved in the first experiment were the sense of touch. The sensory system that was involved in the second experiment was taste and the sensory system that was involved in the third experiment was taste. Each of these sensory systems experienced sensory adaptation to the stimulus being presented to the person who conducted the experiment.

Adaptation is important from an evolutionary perspective. The main reason for this is due the the need for humans to be able to adjust to change, both in their senses, environment, and any stimuli that may be encountered. If a person is not able to adapt, he or she will experience difficulty in handling even the smallest change. If a person is not able to adapt, and handle change, this presents difficulty not only in the senses, but in the psychological area. Not being able to adapt makes a person's mental state stressed and nervous. When adaptation takes place, a person is able to evolve both in a physical and in a mental capacity.

As always, I was happy to help you. Please remember to click the accept button, and Iook forward to helping you in the future.

Have a great evening

Lisa

References:

1. www.imdb.com/title/tt0268126/

2. www.users.ipfw.edu/abbott/120/adaptation.html

Lisa L. Kawecki, Certified Teacher
Experience: BA in Eng. & Edu.; 15 yrs. Teaching Exp.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you i want to know if any web sources used .