sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I receive on my panel the VSC off and Track Light and Engine

Customer Question

hello
JA: Hi. How can we be of help?
Customer: I receive on my panel the VSC off and Track Light and Engine light. I have checked my gas cap and it clicks when its tightened but comes off real easily. So I purchased another gas cap and the panel still has the lights....??
JA: Do you happen to know the code? Have you tried to reset the computer?
Customer: um, no....where do i find the code?
JA: What is the model/year of your Lexus?
Customer: 2008 GX470
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: replaced the gas cap
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have heard others with this problem online say that I have to reset the battery too
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the stabiltiy control lights came on at the same time as the engine light then you most likely have just one issue. The stabilty control system relies on the ability to request torque and if there is a driveability rpoblem that can prevent that then the stabiltiy control light will come on along with the engine light.

There are dozens of possible causes for the engine light coming on. The light comes on when the engine controller sees a failure in a monitored component and sets a fault code. The issue could be many things including ignition system issues, fuel injectors, wiring, any sensor, a transmission related issue, catalytic converter efficiency; literally a failure in any powertrain component can cause the light to come on.

The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to use a scan tool or code reader to see what fault codes are setting and then testing can be done from there based on the findings.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!