sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Lexus RX 330 SUV, no pick up, no acce, 2005, No pick up, no

Customer Question

Lexus RX 330 SUV, no pick up, no acce
JA: What year is your RX?
Customer: 2005
JA: Are you fixing your RX yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No pick up, no acceleration, check eng light on and vsc light on. In traffic now
JA: Do you happen to know the code? Have you tried to reset the computer?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: When the car started the screen in dashboard had to reload
Category: Lexus
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds as if the engine is in limp in. If the engine controller sees an issue that will cause damage or it doesn't have the ability to properly control RPM it can go into limp in and limit power. Since the stability control system relies on the ability to request engine torque this can also cause the stability control light to come on. There are dozens of possible causes for this, there is a good chance it's electronic throttle control related.

The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to use a code reader or scan tool to see what fault codes have set and then testing can be done from there.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello, yes, my mechanic confirmed it was the electrionic throttle body. When I started having this issue the battery had to be jumped. Could that have cause the electronic throttle body to fail or did the failure of the electronic throttle body cause the problem with the battery?Finally, my nephew followed a suggestion he got from the Internet and cleared the fault codes and that reengaged the electronic throttle body and the car now has normal acceleration. My question is, was whatever he did a temporary fix or will the electronic throttle body fail again and need to be replaced?
Jumping it shouldn't have caused your problem.Unless the problem is actually repaired it will most likely return.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've read that the electronic throttle body should last the life of the car. Will I have to have it repaired or replaced?Also, if I need a tune up will the need for new spark plugs cause the electronic throttle body to fail?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can a non-Lexus shop fix the problem? If so, what kind of specialist should I look for?
If the throttle body has failed it will need to be replaced. Spark plugs would not affect it.Any shop should be able to do the repair.