sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

The check engine light keeps coming on and off. it's a

Customer Question

The check engine light keeps coming on and off. it's a CT200h and it makes noises like its going to stall while I'm driving and at a stop. I recently took it to the dealership and they cleared the check engine light. It did not resolve the problem.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: It stays on for about 2 days and then will go off. The stalling noise seems to be more common now. Been an intermittent issue for about 3 months. the red oil light was blinking too but that has not come back
JA: What is the model/year of your Lexus?
Customer: 2011 CT200H
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It's only ever gone to the Anchorage, AK Lexus Dealership
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just got it back from the yahoos at our dealership 2days ago
Category: Lexus
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The engine light will come on when the engine controller sees a failure in a monitored component or system and sets a fault code. There are literally dozens of things that will cause the light to come on including any sensor, wiring, transmission issues, evaporative emissions system, even a loose fuel cap; literally a failure of anything in the powertrain will turn the light on.

The first step in diagnosing the problem is to use a code reader or scan tool to see what fault codes are setting and then testing can be done from there. Do you know what codes are currently setting?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi! I'm aware that the engine light can come on for a parade of reasons. It comes on within hours of the violent shaking/stalling winds coming from what I can guess is the engine. It also flickers/blinks or turns off of the car goes a long enough period of time without making scary engine noises. I don't have access to a diagnostic. Was hoping for a better stab at what these sounds and vibrating indicates before taking it back to service. The car has been good, never and issues before now. I had the air filters and oil changed last week and described the problem to the tech. And they cleared the light when they replaced an engine oil gasket... however the problem is persisting
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No winds ... sounds.

It appears from the information I have that the noise is related to the engine running poorly.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thank you for your helpful and thoughtful response. It's apparent to me that you aren't going to be able to help me.
Regards,

I'm not able to tell you exactly what is wrong with the vehicle remotely with a general problem description and with no testing, if that's what you were hoping for. If you can give me the fault codes I can give you more specific causes for that particular code, but it isn't possible to know exactly what is wrong without in person testing.