Chris (aka - Moose)
Chris (aka - Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Key will not turn in the ignition. This is a 2006 and this

Customer Question

Key will not turn in the ignition.
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: This is a 2006 and this is an original key, although both keys have the same result. The steering wheel is basically locked, although it was not originally, by moving it around it is now locked.
JA: What is the model of your '06 Lexus?
Customer: GX470
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have always taken it info the dealer, which is 110 miles away. So I only do that upon service intervals. I have tried wiggling the steering wheel, rolling the car what little I can and unlocking the park lock and moving the shifter around.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is there something simple I can do? This happened last summer with the back of the SUV loaded to the hilt on an incline. I off loaded the back and it turn right over, so was thinking it had something to do with the leveling system in this rig?
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Chris (aka - Moose) replied 5 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

• I am sorry no one has helped yet in return for the question fees you have already paid.
  • I believe I can help with this question.
  • Reply and let me know when your able to work on this concern.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am available now and this afternoon.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Texting is fine.

Aggressively try to turn the wheel in both directions while trying to turn the key. If that fails jack up both front wheels off the ground and try again. If it will not unlock the wheel and switch then the concern is damaged tumblers inside the ignition lock cylinder meaning a new cylinder is needed and built to match your key cut code which you can obtain from your dealer with the vin#.

Please read this:

1. Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.
  2. I do not work at or for Just Answer. You and I can only communicate on this page.
  3. When you're pleased or happy with my answer or efforts to help you. At the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say ( I'm pleased.)
  4. When I help you I am only paid from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer, Chris

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK. Thanks. I will try that. Interesting. The only other time this happened we had a large load on the back of the vehicle and upon unloading it we were able to start it. So we were thinking of jacking up the rear. We will try the front. Thanks, ***** ***** let you know if this works.

If its rotational stress on the steering system causing the lock impossible to release enough, raising the front wheels will allow the steering to have no load on it.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK. It's about 5 degrees out there now. Hoping it warms up. Can I use a floor jack under the front differential and lift the entire front end at once?

23 here, do not blame you.

A jack under a front cross member would be better than under the differential. Set the parking brake as well to make sure it does not roll if on a hill.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK. Thanks. Stay warm and I will let you know.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Did not work unfortunately.

That means it is the cylinder tumblers that are damaged and the cylinder needs to be drilled out and replaced.

Hello again Chris here,

1. I have to assume you were not pleased with my help, because you have not replied or rated the post.
  2. What would you like to do regarding your question now?
  3. Do you still need help? Please reply I want you to get equal to or more than what you paid for.
  4. This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. That can prevent me from being able to post answers to your replies.

Thanks Chris