Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Engine shut off at about 70 MPH, eng turns over but doesn't

Customer Question

Engine shut off at about 70 MPH, eng turns over but doesn't start, timing belt looked okay,going to look at fuel pump next
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 92 Lexus SC400
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes by myself, just started with trouble shooting, looked st timing belt,thought we Ohm out fuel pump but found out it was the sending unit
JA: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?
Customer: there is a placard on the engine showing the belt was changed out at 115,000, the car has 152,000 on it , I have had the car for 600 miles
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: the guy I bought the car from had the computer replaced right before I bought it
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

One of the more common causes is the fuel pump itself.I suspect the timing belt is o.k. since it was replaced less then 50k ago.If you need testing info on how to test the pump let me know.Before testing the pump check for spark at at least 2 spark plugs to make sure this isnt a spark failure issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete