lexpert
lexpert, Lexus Master tech
Experience:  Master Certified with lexus, 8 years experience with Lexus
9414525

My car wont start and just makes a clicking sound when

Customer Question

My car wont start and just makes a clicking sound when trying to turn over. The battery is good and recently had the starter tested and the mechanic said it was fine.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: I believe it's coming from the starter and I guess it's been a couple of months now.
JA: What is the model/year of your Lexus?
Customer: 97 ES300
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, thinking it might be a battery issue, I have replaced the post clamps but not much else.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I think that's it. Just want to know what else to look for. I would like to fix it myself if possible.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 14 days ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Please describe your click noise please. Is it one click when you try to start it or is it a series of clicks? Please advise.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Just one click

I am sorry to have to disagree with your mechanic; your starter is not 'fine'. You have worn contacts inside the starter solenoid. The click you hear is the solenoid operating. When the key is turned to start, the solenoid is energized. This causes the solenoid to move and, when it does, it clicks. When it clicks into place, it causes a set of contacts to touch which allows all of the battery electricity to flow into the starter motor which causes it to spin and start the car. The remedy here would be to do one of the following:

1) Remove the starter and replaced the worn solenoid plunger and contact set

2) replace the starter with another unit (a new solenoid comes with the replacement starter)

Either way you go, this is the actual issue here; the starter solenoid is not sending the power to the starter motor.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. Please do confirm that you have received my input. Thanks.