sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Lexus 2008 RX 400h 119k miles. Losing power and check hybrid

Customer Question

Lexus 2008 RX 400h 119k miles. Losing power and check hybrid system , engine light came on. Had it towed to Lexus dealer. Said I had leak in radiator, and in water pump. They didn't even mention the timing belt. They quoted $3000 to repair. Took it to my local mechanic, who replaced water pump, radiator and timing belt. Drove it for about 50 miles and now the same thing happened. It powered down, and check hybrid system light and engine lights are on again. Was able to limp home, and now wondering what to do next..
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: It blinked and then stayed on
JA: Are you fixing your RX 400h yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No took it to my local mechanic who did the work as discussed above
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not right now
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are dozens of possible causes for the engine light to come on. The problem could literally be a failure in any powertrain component such as engine sensors, transmission, the inverter, wiring, etc.

The first step in diagnosing the problem is to use a scan tool or code reader to see what fault codes are setting and then testing can be done from tere. Do you know what fault codes are setting currently?