Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert
Experience:  30 + years of experience; Multiple Award Winning Svc Mgr; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have a 2008 Lexus RX350. I believe the theft system is

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Lexus RX350. I believe the theft system is wacky. I cannot turn the key in the ignition. The battery is good. The key can lock and unlock the doors, open the hatch, and sound the alarm. The key does not turn.
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: The steering wheel is locked but I can remove the pressure if you are thinking that. I have three keys and they all do not work.
JA: What is the model of your '08 Lexus?
Customer: RX350
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tried disconnecting the battery, have tried locking and unlocking the car, opening the back hatch, turned on alarm with key and turned alarm off
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 13 days ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. The theft system does not have any interaction with the key cylinder. More often than not, the steering wheel is turned to the point that the pin that extends from the ignition lock is 'bound up' in the hole that it fits in inside the steering column shaft. Have you tried to turn the steering wheel hard whilst turning the key at the same time?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The steering wheel is locked but is not tight against anything. I understand what you are asking but this is not it
is not tight

If the wheel is locked, the pin may be bound. There are only three things that will cause the keys to not turn.

1) The ignition tumblers are bent inside the lock cylinder (this requires a locksmith to remove it and fix it, or, replace the cylinder)

2) The Pins is stuck in the column (as described above)

3) The ignition cylinder is broken, and the key is not working properly to turn it.

Removal of the ignition lock cylinder is difficult with out the proper tools.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I need to call a locksmith or tow it to Lexus? Can a locksmith do the work?

A good locksmith who is skilled in automotive should be able to rectify this for you, and cheaper than towing it to Lexus.