Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert
Experience:  30 + years of experience; Multiple Award Winning Svc Mgr; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have 2007 Lexus ES350 Couple of weeks ago, when i finished

Customer Question

Hi Pearl I have 2007 Lexus ES350 Couple of weeks ago, when i finished putting gas in my car a bunch of lights came on. Check VSC, Check engine light and TrackOff light.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: they all stay on i thought maybe i didn't tighten the gas cap securely so i re-tighten it (although it kind of barely makes one click) i took battery connectors off, this reset the lights but they came back in a day
JA: What is the model of your '07 Lexus?
Customer: ES350
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i repeated again - retighten the cap, reset lights but they would come back in a day i replaced the gas cap, put brand new in but now when i try to reset lights, they come on immediatelly
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I tried to get error codes read by OBD2 but it shows error - cannot read data that's all i tried
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 14 days ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. As long as the lights are on you should have a code stored in the computer memory. If you are not reading codes, it is highly likely that your scanner is not compatible with the system in your car, or, the code reader's software is not up to date. In either case, if the lights come right back on after you reset the lights (if that is actually working), the gas capo is not the issue. The system checks the gas cap integrity at two different times. With that being said, the car could start up with the cap off and not set the code right away. More than likely, you have a air-fuel sensor or oxygen sensor 'heater' code, or something that is checked when the vehicle is started. It would be prudent to obtain the services of another scanner to be 100% sure of the actual code, which we need to determine the cure for your request. Can you get a different scanner, or, go to an auto parts store? They offer free scans to sell their parts. Please advise

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I went to the store today and they scanned the code - it was P0051, Oxygen Sensor Heater Control Circuit Low Bank 2 Sensor 1.
Please advise.
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 12 days ago.

The P0051 code indicates that the heater portion of the first sensor on the exhaust system, on the front of the engine (closest to the radiator) needs to be replaced. Extreme caution needs to be taken here if you choose to change it yourself, as the sensors have a tendency to seize in the threaded hole for the sensor and when it is removed, the threads may strip out. If you are not experienced in oxygen sensor removal, leave this one to the professionals. Repair of this pipe if the threads strip out can be expensive.