Chris (aka - Moose)
Chris (aka - Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 2007 Lexus IS250 with a little over 131k miles.

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Lexus IS250 with a little over 131k miles. Last night (Saturday) the Check VSC light starting coming on in the middle of a road trip. The car seemed to stutter once briefly while driving (lights going out on dash and navigation), but the "Check VSC" light went off. When I googled possible reasons that might occur it said a loose gas cap might be the reason and to also take it to a Lexus dealer to be checked out. However, the car took us safely to our stopping point for the night and the Check VSC light did not come on again so we thought maybe it was a fluke. Well today when back on the highway the Check VSC light came on again and we essentially lost power to the vehicle. It stopped responding to any acceleration so we pulled the car over. It was smoking and and it seemed as if coolant fluid had started to spill/spray out under the hood. The coolant level was extremely low, so we added water to the reservoir but we could not get it started again and had to get it towed to a shop which is closed until tomorrow (Monday). We are miles away from a Lexus dealership. Before this happened there was not warning that the car was overheating. What do you think may be going on?
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Chris (aka - Moose) replied 3 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

The VSC light is vehicle stability control. This system is controlled by the ABS. When this light comes on, it detects an issue with the sensors that are related with keeping the vehicle under control. The VSC system can effect the engine running by decreasing the power if it senses a loss of control or wheel spin. Yes you do need to get this code diagnosed and repaired but this did not cause the coolant loss or no start. You appear to have multiple issues here. The coolant loss may have been the engine overheating and if that occurred you may now have low compression from a damaged head gasket or head. Also coolant if from a leaking gasket or hose could of sprayed coolant onto connectors and this is disrupting electrical signals from sensors to the computer. Step one will be to see which codes are stored.

What now

1. You have asked a question.
  2. You have paid a deposit and received an info request and or answer(s).
  3. Now it is time to follow up if needed or rate my answer, hopefully 5 STAR EXCELLENT. Sometimes the rating fails, responding with (I am a pleased) will suffice.
  4. You are more than welcome to still follow up. I want you pleased with me and my answer(s).

Thanks for using Just Answer, and rating me so I am compensated, Chris