Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I went to start my car this morning and it turns over i can

Customer Question

i went to start my car this morning and it turns over i can hear the fuel pump kick in and its been starting fine, my key is broken where the actual key and the fob are separate but its been separate for about 2 months, i just got an oil change about a week ago, i don't know what else it could be,
JA: Have you checked the fob's battery?
Customer: will that cause it to not start my car?
JA: What is the model/year of your Lexus?
Customer: how do i check the fob battery and its a 2005 es 330
JA: Are you fixing your ES yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes me and my dad im at work and he has my car and i dont think he's tried anything we dont know what to try
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think thats it i just need help on what to look at and check and what could cause that?
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Pete replied 15 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Even though the fuel pump is kicking in this can still be the pump at fault here.It can be creating low or no fuel rail pressure which is common.I would have a fuel pressure test done with a fuel pressure test gauge.Below is how this fuel pressure test gauge connects on this model.In some cases you can rent these tools from a local parts store.The pressure should be between 44 and 50 psi.If any lower then this, then the fuel pump needs replaced.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tuh8rgh320u0c49/fp-11-17.gif?dl=0

Your model also uses what is called a crank position sensor.This sensor sends the rpm signal to the computer and ignition components.It is located on the drivers side rear of the engine.If you can obtain a scan tool that has a data display plug it into your model and crank over the engine and observe the rpm signal on the scan tool.If there is no rpm signal then the crank sensor needs replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete