Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Lexus Expert
8257649

If the switch h mechanism goes out between the electric and

Customer Question

If the switch h mechanism goes out between the electric and gas engines can you trick the mechanism to stay in the gas engine drive....how?
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: Does not start. Told it needs an entire new (transmission) Want to run it by just gas alone..possible?
JA: What is the model/year of your Lexus?
Customer: 2010
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: In the shop. Repair is out of sight. Need cheaper solution. Runononly the gas engine...never switch..can it be done?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 3 months ago.

With any Toyota hybrid or Lexis it is impossible to run just the gasoline engine if there's a problem with the hybrid transaxle.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It the car runs on the gas engine...why can't it just stay in that "mode?" Seem simple to me..why is it not?

It may seem like a simple thing but the logic that controls the system is very complex. It will not run on just the gas engine due to the way the system is designed. It is designed to regenerate the battery when slowing down or braking and if there is an issue with the battery that's causing it to kick out and you wanted to run just on engine it won't do that. There's no way to override it with the software.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks! Lexus should be hung! a product that destroys itself...no relief...(Lief..a pun) Don't like it. give me a thirty-six Ford!!!!

You are welcome. I can't argue your logic they are definitely more complex and not made as simple as it used to be. If you have not done so please do not forget to apply a rating of three or higher so I may be compensated for my time.