mike switzer
mike switzer,
Experience:  lead diagnostic tech at Aamco
93239347

My car was damaged by Lexus dealership while installing a

Customer Question

My car was damaged by Lexus dealership while installing a recalled passenger airbag. They damaged the yawrate sensor and now I have two idiot lights on, one says Automatic Traction Control is on and the other says it is off (not possible). When it happened, one service tech/advisor said the computer just needed to be reset. Now they say this sensor has to be replaced $916 plus labor. They say it is impossible that they damaged it, but they had my whole dash dismantled for the airbag replacement and the sensor is in the console, near gearshift. I'm sure the wiring bundle/cables run through the same area as the airbag repair. The car is 2002 Lexus SC430. The idiot lights were never on prior to the airbag repair, but appeared on my way home from the dealership. I would prefer someone who has Lexus repair experience.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  david craig replied 1 month ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. yes, the wiring goes through the same route and actually is part of the clockspring assembly that they had remove to repair the airbag issue. the steering angle sensor and yaw rate sensor are all interfaced with the steer wheel which was removed. DO NOT let them get away with the bs story. they messed it up. they fix it. bot***** *****ne

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you sure? It was passenger side airbag that was replaced.

oh ok. sorry. didnt see it was the passenger side. bot***** *****ne is the lights were not on before they did the replacement and now they are. ill will look into my diagrams to see how the interface so you have more proof

all of the air bag modules plug into one airbag control module processor. which means the yaw rate sensor is directly tied to their work because it works through the steering angle sensor which is integrated into the air bag module on the steering wheel.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do you have a diagram that shows this connection graphically?

give me a second

these diagrams dont tie them directly but they are interfaced through the steering wheel air bag module because the wiring for the yaw rate sensor is part of the steering angle sensor. which is connected to the airbag controller

any news?

hello???????

Expert:  mike switzer replied 1 month ago.

the passenger air bag does not require dismantling the entire dash.